Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally put the boat in for my first time

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally put the boat in for my first time

I finally put my new boat in the water this morning and let me just tell you first that I have never owned or operated a boat, nor have I ever backed one in the water. All of this was a first for me. Now let me tell you how things went. First things first, I tried your set up Jerry Blake and it would have worked fine if my rope hadnt come undone from the bow of my boat, "not your fault, just something I done I guess" luckily for me my wife showed up just long enough to help me get the boat unloaded, and she grabbed the rope to keep the boat from going out in the lake by itself. I pulled the boat up to the edge of the ramp, then I parked the trailor. I pushed the boat out and trolled out past the no wake zone. I fired up the big motor and took off. Here is the mistake I made. I was suppose to keep the rpms between 3000 and 4500 rpm for break in. I was watching the speedometer instead of the rpm gauge. I'm glad I caught it before running too long like this, maybe it didnt hurt anything. I was very nervous considering I havent ever done it and because I was alone without an experienced boater. I didnt fill the tank but half way, so I couldnt run very long. I didnt have much trouble running the boat, just a little trouble getting a feel for the trim. One thing I notice was that the boat seemed to tilt to the starboard or driver side. I had the load evenly distributed, I dont know if its because I weigh enough to tilt it since nobody was on the passenger side. Anybody have any ideas what else might cause it. The water was a little choppy and it was a smooth ride. My wife showed back up when I was getting ready to load back up. I almost made a big mistake loading it. I accidentally left my trolling motor down and hit it on the trailor, I had to back off the trailor and pull it up and then run the boat back on. I didnt damage it thank goodness. I got it right on the trailor while it was windy. I feel like I done very well for my first time. I remembered the plug was the main thing. I appreciate everyones help and I cant wait to get better with this. Thanks everyone. I thought I'd keep it short, I wanted to leave room for Moose to post, LOL. Just kidding

Post Thanks / Like

You will learn, we have all made mistakes. Hell, i still make 'em. Give me a call , let me get on board that machine. If you think it is leaning bad now, let a FATBOY drive. That is why i have my trim tab tilted to the left to compensate for my big butt. Glad you haven't sank it yet.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Seeker ...

If those were the only rookie mistakes you made on the maiden voyage .... ya done good :D I'm sure there are others who have done worse.

As long as the boat doesn't list to the drivers side while you are running - you're probably OK. Every boat I've ever been in has listed to the drivers side, with one person in the drivers seat. I've even gotten into the habit of sitting on the livewell (or middle section between driver & passenger seats) when driving the boat back on the trailer - just to level the boat out, and to get a dead on eyeball line-up with the center of the trailer....but that's just me ...LOL!!
    Don't pay too much attention to the Speedo .... they're not all that accurate, anyway. You can use a GPS or get clocked by radar gun, if you really have to know how fast it'll go.
    You might want to get another clip for the bow eye end of your extra launch rope ... makes tying good knots a thing of the past. And it will keep you from having to cut the rope loose from the bow eye - in the event you tie a "really good" knot !!
    You got it launched - so you've passed the hardest test for most new boat owners .... learning to back it down a ramp. And you got it loaded back on the trailer ... driving it on - so you passed test #2 (with only a couple of points taken off for the trolling motor mishap :p ).
    A slight chop on the water will usually help lift the boat up a little as you run ... so that's no biggie - just learn the rules of boating /navigation and take it easy in the bigger waves/wakes until you get a little more experience & confidence.
    Sounds like you got yourself a "fishing machine" now....luck2ya .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chapman Pilot Book

Seeker - a good investment would be the Chapman Boat Pilot book - it has all the rules of the road on the water, different boating skills such as mooring the boat at docks, loading and unloading, - it also talks about navigation - it is a about $50.00 but well worth it - maybe Santa will have one for you , he brought me one acouple of years ago
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Trip!

My brother always says if you make it back to the dock without getting towed in, ya had a good day. I remember one time I launched my boat and forgot to take the transom saver off. It's a bracket that holds the weight of the motor off the transom and puts it on the trailer. Anyhow there was a bungee around the motor lower unit to the bracket. Everytime I'd back the truck up till the boat floated, I'd pull forward with the truck and the boat would follow me back in. Of course the wife was holding the lines and I gave it to her about not holding the boat! About the 4th attempt the boat sailed clear and I parked the truck. It was then I saw the transom saver still attached to the trailer and a broken off bungee at the motor end. My worst mistakes are made when I stop in the middle of loading or unloading and start shooting the breeze with someone. I hate to be ignorant and not talk to folks but my old mind has trouble remembering where I was. I ain't forgot the plug yet!

Post Thanks / Like

I have failed to mention that I successfully backed it into my garage twice. The boat is 89 inches wide and the garage is just about 93 inches. I only have almost two inches on both sides to squeeze between. My driveway is L shaped and so therefore I have to hit it at a sharp turn while backing it in. I thought I could never do it, but if you watched me, you would think I had been doing it a while. It makes you feel proud when you do something well. Maybe its beginners luck, but I'll take it, LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Seeker:

Ya done good! I broke an "Unbreakable Shaft" on a Minn Kota trolling motor when I forgot it was down and I pulled back up to the bank on a brushpile building expedition. So don't feel bad about that. I've watched several green carp fishermen give themselves a good cold shower when they take off with their trolling motor still down.

We have a free 8-hour Boater Safety Course here in Arkansas, which is required for persons born after a certain date. You may want to contact your local Coast Guard Auxillary and see what they have to offer. It would be well worth your time to take a boating course, if nothing else just to give you some confidence.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Seeker:

Ya done good! I broke an "Unbreakable Shaft" on a Minn Kota trolling motor when I forgot it was down and I pulled back up to the bank on a brushpile building expedition. So don't feel bad about that. I've watched several green carp fishermen give themselves a good cold shower when they take off with their trolling motor still down.

We have a free 8-hour Boater Safety Course here in Arkansas, which is required for persons born after a certain date. You may want to contact your local Coast Guard Auxillary and see what they have to offer. It would be well worth your time to take a boating course, if nothing else just to give you some confidence.
    Some insurance companies also give you a discount if you have taken the course. I have BoatUS, and I get a discount there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first boat

My first boat is a 16 foot 48 inche bottom jon boat made by Grummans. I bought a new Minn Kota 50 thrust pound, transom mount trolling motor. Launching was not my problem, I got to where I wanted to fish, I fished there for an hour or so. I decided to try another place, Cranked up my boat motor, and took off like a bat out of hell. Then I noticed my trolling motor was in flight and in the water. I had left it down. So I figured no big deal, I'll buy another one. I hate telling you fellows this, but I did the same thing again. So now I had 700 dollars invested in trolling motors and no trolling motor. My wife was with me the first time and she understood that mistakes happen. The second time, I got home with my tail tucked between my legs. She noticed that something was wrong and in all humility I told her what happened. I did not see her for about 2 weeks, thats when the swelling went out of my eyes. She was a good sport about it and told me to go buy another one, "just be careful, this is the last one you well get for a long time".

Post Thanks / Like

seeker...sounds to me like you did pretty darn good for the first time out on your own....shellback had some good advice...get a routine down when you prep the boat for launch and stick to it..I have forgotton to put the plug back in the boat twice and both times someone started talking to me while I was getting the boat ready to launch and that was the one step I forgot...remembered in time both times but it sure gives you a scare when the first hint of trouble appears (water coming up thru the drain by the drivers seat). Just take your time and go thru a small checklist when readying to launch and I do a quick walk around the boat just before driving away at the end of the day...good luck..you sure are gonna enjoy that new toy!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast