PDA

View Full Version : Old Mercury 200 Kiekhaefer motor help

OutdoorWilly
09-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I posted this in the mechanics thread, but I really want a lot of advice on this. I have an old Mercury 200 motor but have no idea if it will start. The problem is that I need a new fuel tank in order to start it (I think). If I can get this motor started then all I have to do is get a boat. I'm guessing it probably needs new coils. It hasn't been started in probably 40+ years; it was my Grandpa's. I've tried to keep it clean, but I really know nothing about how to fix it. Also the fuel tank is obviously very rusted. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/mechanics-corner-boats-motors-trailers/100742d1347311644-old-mercury-200-kiekhaefer-motor-help-1.jpghttp://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/mechanics-corner-boats-motors-trailers/100743d1347311653-old-mercury-200-kiekhaefer-motor-help-2.jpghttp://www.crappie.com/crappie/attachments/mechanics-corner-boats-motors-trailers/100744d1347311663-old-mercury-200-kiekhaefer-motor-help-3.jpg

OutdoorWilly
09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
bump

Don G
09-11-2012, 06:08 AM
I would throw the gas can away. Log in(free) on this site. A lot of knowledgeable Mercury folks.

The Marine Doctor - Index (http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl)

petewv
09-12-2012, 05:35 AM
go to the web site iboats.com they can help with the motor click on boating community then boating forums

Ragfly Jig Man
09-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Hey you should get in touch with "Papa Sage" on the Georgia forum. He has a vast knowledge of those old motors. I myself do know that thoses old mercs had a bad reputation for "eating" up water pumps. Hope ya have good luck.

Billbob
09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
get a tank at wallmart a water pump is about $25 you might have to pull the fly wheel and sand the points real easy if no spark real good moters

OutdoorWilly
09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys. And I can get a tank at walmart? Will those tanks fit the fuel line, because I thought I had to get the same model fuel tank that it came with, in order for the line to fit the motor and the tank. Thanks for y'alls advice.

jaxsprat
09-12-2012, 10:22 PM
When buying tank just ask for one with a Mercury fitting on it. Actually the hose, bulb and fitting come as a all in one, then u buy the tank and all tank fitting are the same

CrappiePappy
09-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys. And I can get a tank at walmart? Will those tanks fit the fuel line, because I thought I had to get the same model fuel tank that it came with, in order for the line to fit the motor and the tank. Thanks for y'alls advice.

Willy, you can get a plastic or metal gas tank .... and the appropriate fittings for connecting the motor to the tank. If you can't find these at Wal-Mart, check with the closest boat dealership that sells Mercs.
I'd also change the lower unit fluid, put in a new water pump impeller, and new seals on the lower unit. New spark plugs would be a good idea, as well.

But, first of all .... I'd check & make sure the flywheel will turn, & pull the plugs & check to see that the pistons are moving. Not much sense in buying & performing all the other fixes, if the pistons/rings are seized up. Don't know as I'd want to even "try" to start it, without knowing the condition of the interior of the motor. You may even want to consider using some "Deep Creep" to flush out the old varnish/corrosion/carbon deposits ... once you get to the point of trying to start it.
Check all the wires around the motor head, to make sure they're not dry rotted or that mice haven't chewed off the insulation. Check the pull start rope, too ... you don't want that to break when you're trying to crank it !!

I'm no mechanic, by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't mean to be a killjoy ... as I know how much you'd like to have GrandPa's motor running again. I just want you to be aware of the possibility of spending as much money getting it back into operation, as you would buying a used motor of more recent vintage. It may also be of more value as a antique, to a collector, than it would be to you as the starting point of a new fishing rig ... but, that's a whole other can of worms that I'm not qualified to comment or give advice about.

... cp :kewl

OutdoorWilly
09-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I took out the old spark plugs and am going to buy new ones. Tomorrow I'm heading to walmart to try and find a new tank and fuel line. I unscrewed one end of the fuel line and it smelled like dead fish. I think the rubber has deteriorated over the years. Everything inside looks fine from what I can tell, no corrosion on any wires whatsover, but that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it of course. Hopefully I can get this thing crankin soon. Thanks again.

bayoumonster
09-12-2012, 11:34 PM
I posted on your other mech. corner thread. That looks like a well-used but well-taken care of motor. Don't even consider running it without a new water pump impeller. They "take a set" from sitting in one place and the impeller vanes harden in position and don't pump well. I would get a good mechanic to run through the motor and do all the necessary work on it, or it will be far cheaper in the end to buy a newer motor. One of the things that will kill a 2-stroke outboard the fastest is sitting it up unused for long periods of time and then running it. That engine will hatch if it's not kept cool and getting plenty of fuel and oil. A good lower unit on a merc 200 from that time period is very rare. Yours may very well be from the looks of it. Keep it that way by having it resealed. The kit is only about $60 or less, but will cost you a couple of hundred to have installed. For about $600, you could probably have it in reliable running condition if the driveshaft/propshaft/compression are good----far cheaper than a new motor. Also, at least remove every ground connection and clean them good with a wire brush and reattach.
Just my opinion,
JBJ

OutdoorWilly
09-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks, I will definitely get a new water impeller.

OutdoorWilly
09-13-2012, 12:16 AM
and by the way....this thing is HEAVY

OutdoorWilly
09-13-2012, 03:43 PM
I have a question.....will any universal fuel line from walmart fit this old mercury?

Eager Beaver
09-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I would go with a premium gasoline to keep away from the ethanol. It isn't very friendly to an old motor. EB

CrappiePappy
09-14-2012, 02:00 AM
I have a question.....will any universal fuel line from walmart fit this old mercury?

With the proper fittings for either end ... yes. BUT ... I purchased a "grey" fuel line for my previous motor, and had to have two carb cleanings shortly thereafter due to tiny pieces of grey plastic getting stuck in the jets. While I cannot say that it was the fault of the fuel line ... it was just too coincidental for my way of thinking.

If possible ... I'd look into purchasing a (OEM) Merc fuel line assembly. A new one should be compatible with E10 fuel, if you have no other alternative (ethanol free) gas available. I'd also try & look up a manual for the motor ... to check for what grade gas should be used, and what oil/gas mix ratio is recommended.

Barnacle Bill
09-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Partsmay be hard to find for that old motor. Here is one source. http://store.oldmercs.com/Default.asp

OutdoorWilly
09-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the help you guys. Hopefully I can get this thing running again.

Slipcork
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Man, those are good old motors. I fixed one up for my 15 year old son. Runs it on a 1648 and he loves it.

1st. Water pump
2nd New fuel line
3rd New fuel tank
4th New plugs
5th Won't hurt to clean carb
6th check spark get spark
7th Fresh gas & oil. 50:1 mix
8th Just add water.

Also, don't use gas with ethanol and always unhook fuel line and run her dry after using it. And if you have a NAPA part store around, they are a good place to get parts.

OutdoorWilly
09-14-2012, 05:19 PM
I can't find anything for the fuel line to connect to my motor! I can fit the new fuel line to the new gas tank that I bought....but on the other end of the tube there is nothing!

CrappiePappy
09-14-2012, 10:53 PM
I can't find anything for the fuel line to connect to my motor! I can fit the new fuel line to the new gas tank that I bought....but on the other end of the tube there is nothing!

That's where you need a brass connector nipple .... fits into the fuel line & band clamped on. That goes in the grey outer fitting shell that you have pictured in the "mechanical" forum. The L (90deg) brass fitting, also pictured, may or may not be the correct part. On the front of your motor, there should be a hole for the grey piece to fit into ... so check to see if you have the right one.

Without a manual, we're just making educated guesses on what parts are needed. But, according to oldmercs.com ( Fuel Connectors (http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s/6461.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=6461&show=10&page=2) ) the second picture down shows the grey fitting shell & the brass nipple connector, and states that it fits your model year. I'm just deducing how they fit onto the fuel hose & into the motor ... from having replaced a fuel line on my former '84 Yamaha 70hp & a friends old (1960's) Merc 50hp.

The L shaped brass fitting would be needed, if a "straight into" path was not available for the fuel line & connector ... so that you could come at the motor with the connector from the bottom or side. I'm just guessing, but I'd think that would depend on the type of boat you put the motor on & how the transom is made (whether it's a simple wall transom, or if there's a splash well & raised back deck). That may be totally wrong, so I'd defer to a more experienced person.

ibfestus
09-15-2012, 07:40 PM
The problem with these fine old engines is they were designed for leaded gas. Many of the diaphrams, hoses, squeeze bulbs etc were made with rubber and ethanol in today's gas, eats, destroys rubber. These old engines were great and you could actually work on them. I remember my Dad back in 1960 when our old 10 HP John'rude wouldn't start somewhere on the White River in AR. He tore down the carb and cleaned it and then the points etc. and it started and ran just fine. Trust me, it isn't worth the trouble... if you want to fish, you can buy a motor designed for today's crappy gas cheaper than you can keep this antique running.

On the other hand... these old engines can be a lot of fun to mess with. Just my $.02

tnriverluver
09-16-2012, 12:28 PM
The problem with these fine old engines is they were designed for leaded gas. Many of the diaphrams, hoses, squeeze bulbs etc were made with rubber and ethanol in today's gas, eats, destroys rubber. These old engines were great and you could actually work on them. I remember my Dad back in 1960 when our old 10 HP John'rude wouldn't start somewhere on the White River in AR. He tore down the carb and cleaned it and then the points etc. and it started and ran just fine. Trust me, it isn't worth the trouble... if you want to fish, you can buy a motor designed for today's crappy gas cheaper than you can keep this antique running.

On the other hand... these old engines can be a lot of fun to mess with. Just my $.02

I have to disagree with the above post currently owning a new 2011 Merc 20 hp 4-stroke, 1947 KEA 4, !950 Merc Comet twin 6, 1975 25 hp evinrude, 1998 Johnson 50, and a 1965 9.8 Merc. I try to run all these on nonalcohol fuel when I can find it but usually have to get the crappy gas we have locally. Always mix Stabil etc and run them dry. The carbs can be rebuilt on all these old outboards and parts are still available easily online. With the new Merc however your only choice currently is to replace the carb if ultrasonic cleaning doesn't work. $400 plus for the carbs. I read and studied carefully before buying this new motor and the carb(not covered under their 5 year warranty) seems to have as many if not more issues with todays gasoline than the old motors due to extremely small jets and passages. I love the reliability and fuel economy and knock on wood have not had any problems with mine yet but the old motors still get the job done fine if attention to fuel and running them dry after each use is remembered. Point being you can do a lot of repair work on that old FREE 20hp before you approach the $3k plus for a new one. The only reason I ended up buying a new motor was because I sometimes fish some dangerous waters and wanted better peace of mind reliability wise knowing my trolling motor might not save my butt if the worst happened.