Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How do drift chains not spook fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do drift chains not spook fish?

Let me get this straight. Drift chains provide a little bit of resistance and keep the bow facing the wind and that cuts down on the speed of the drift? Does the chain drag on the bottom? Doesn’t that spook the fish if you are tight lining the bottom? This weekend it was so windy that when I lifted a fish out of the water it got caught in the wind and if I didn’t grab it, it would fly around behind the stern like a kite.
    Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

i put mine (loggin chain) off the back on about a 30-40ft nylon rope and spider rig off the front.
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windstone View Post
    i put mine (loggin chain) off the back on about a 30-40ft nylon rope and spider rig off the front.
    I agree also when longlining. Can adjust length to change speed and it can touch bottom or not. I use two at times off opposite sides of the boat and you can adjust the drag to compensate for wind when longlining. Also chains are very good about not snagging.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a post last week about a fella who was fishing and the bite stopped and this other guy in a different boat said "time to stir 'em up" and he cranked his big motor and made several runs dragging a chain and lo and behold the crappie started biting again.
    The fellow posting this said the only reason he hung around was because he thought the guy was nuts and he wanted to see what he did. When he saw him go back to fishing and catching he joined him.
    His theory was the chain stirred up a buncj of bait fish and got the crappie turned on chasing them.
    First I heard of that but it kinda makes sense. As much as some of the other stuff we try anyway. (like spraying wd 40 and a lure)
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes PDog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

WD 40? huh? Never heard of that !

Post Thanks / Like

i used to use chains like windstone says out the back while spider rigging out the front. It works fine but my boat is big and my chains are heavy, I'm a good sized ole boy 6' 3" and weigh about 225 but i always had a fear of getting tangled in my lines and being pulled overboard. I don't care if you're an olympic swimmer you ain't gonna make it with 100 lbs of chains pulling you down. The best solution i could find was drift socks, i love 'em. I own 4, two 60" and two 48". I can pretty much handle any sane feeshing conditions.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feeshrman View Post
    i always had a fear of getting tangled in my lines and being pulled overboard. I don't care if you're an olympic swimmer you ain't gonna make it with 100 lbs of chains pulling you down.

Drift socks are what I use most, they are great for open water. Stump fields are another matter. You don't need big heavy chains, just longer rope on 'em. I can almost stop my Ranger with 2 five foot pieces of 3/8 chain on 100' ropes. More rope you let out, more it will slow you.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woodworker42 View Post
    I remember this from my bass fishing days back in the 80's. I tried it a few times but don't really know if it worked or not.
    Thanks dad for teaching me to love crappie fishing!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woodworker42 View Post
    Supposedly, it's been sprayed on lures & increased the users catches of fish. Personally, I don't buy it ... that it acts like an attractant ... since it's basically oil & solvent, the two "smells" that most people tell you to avoid getting on your hands & transferring it to your bait.

There's been several "lively" discussions about its use. Some swear it works, most believe it's just polluting the water. Even the mfg has put out a disclaimer, stating that they do not recommend its use as a fish attractant. Some even think it has fish oils as part of its ingredients, and that's why it "works" ... but, the MSDS only lists petroleum distillates & solvents as active ingredients.

... cp