Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missouri river

Post Thanks / Like

Default Missouri river

It was a peaceful time on the river this weekend. The big boats Have gone bye bye. Well at least for last weekend. Caught a few small catfish. Biggest 1 was 4 lbs. Caught another turtle. I seems to have there number this year. Saw lots of them over the weekend. Most people out on the water were fishing in some manner. ya the fisher people have taken the river back. This weekend the fish seem to like liver the best. Next weekend who knows.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great weekend!!!

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

my kind of week end! the river sure is peaceful this time of year. I have noticed a lot of turtles as well and caught more than usual too. hopefully the turtles quit biting and the catfish start biting soon. been catching a few channels but the flatheads and blues have been scarce. congrats on getting a meal in the boat, you did much better than I did this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

The only carp that jumped was 1 I hit with a lure while trying to white bass fish. It jumped into the boat. Went into freezer for further use (bait) later. I hope the gars slow down to. The 2 times we fished overnight they drove us crazy. Pull rod tip down and hold it down like a cat was on. Pick up rod and nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perchplucker View Post
    The only carp that jumped was 1 I hit with a lure while trying to white bass fish. It jumped into the boat. Went into freezer for further use (bait) later. I hope the gars slow down to. The 2 times we fished overnight they drove us crazy. Pull rod tip down and hold it down like a cat was on. Pick up rod and nothing.
    next time the gars are driving ya nutzo, take a piece if yarn or cotton rope, if using rope unravel it some, tie it to your hook and wrap it around your bait. when the gar bites its teeth get tangled in the rope/'yarn and boo-ya, ya got him! they are great fighters on the rod and good eating if ya feel up to cleaning them. I never clean them but if they are the only thing biting then ya may as well have some fun!

Post Thanks / Like

split them open with a sawzall,cut meat off along the backbone,slice into sm. steaks and eat while hot.Rubbery and nasty tasting after they get cold but good hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedave55 View Post
    split them open with a sawzall,cut meat off along the backbone,slice into sm. steaks and eat while hot.Rubbery and nasty tasting after they get cold but good hot.
    any fish i have to clean with a sawzall i think i will just throw back. hahha

Post Thanks / Like

We tried gar 1 time. Didn't much care for it. Way to much trouble to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbornhop View Post
    any fish i have to clean with a sawzall i think i will just throw back. hahha
    we were out sucker gigging and one older feller said he wanted the gar we were passing over so that was the only time I tried it,was'nt bad but like you said,too much trouble plus ya can't beat crappie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Post Thanks / Like

my grampa used tin snips to cut the hide off. man that skin is tough! the scales will cut the crap out of ya, too. I agree that for the most part crappie is what I want in my freezer.
    the only reason I would keep a gar these days is if I get a really big one. like 5-6footer. the reason I want one is that there is a guy local who does "European mounts" with flesh eating beetles. not only for mammals but fish as well. I saw a longnose gar head and a flathead cat done this way and it is really neat! more bones in a fishes head that I would ever guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast