Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A couple pics

Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple pics

I've really been trying to concentrate on getting the most out of my unit. A lot of the learning has come from here, of course. I prefer to set my chart speed as fast as it will go. Since I've had a hard time actually seeing crappie, I think that this helps to give a little better return on smaller, thinner fish. From there, all I do is turn the SI sensitivity up or down, depending on what I'm looking for at the time.

Name:  S00051.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  19.2 KB

This was an image with the sensitivity set at 12. Since I have a smaller screen, 798, I like to really crank it up to get the little white dots to show up so I can actually see them. So, the bottom image has the sensitivity set to 17. It makes the white dots really show up (in the dark water column), but distorts the bottom.

I've got the dang thing, may as well do something worth while...

Name:  S00046.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  19.7 KB

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

There is definitely nothing wrong with the idea of speeding the chart up to "elongate" the fish echoes... (it does make them longer and easier to see)...

A good way for users to understand this concept is visualizing that there are very few successful "pings" that actually hit the fish in the thin SI beam...and speeding the chart up allows the unit processor to take those very few successful "ping" echos and stretch those ping echos out across the screen...

It's just a matter of interpreting what you are seeing for you to best use your unit...

I speed up my chart when I am scanning bridge pilings because of the same scenario...there are very few successful "pings" that reflect off the bridge piling..making the piling show on the SI image as a thin strip....

Speeding the chart up allows the unit processor to take those very few successful "ping" echos and stretch those echos out across the screen...making the bridge piling "look" wider on the SI image...

Good shots filletfetish...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 09-09-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you think that turning the "contrast" up a little and not so much "sensitivity" would help?

Contrast, not too much, will make the white dots jump out.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What about using a different color scheme ?? White dots on yellow bottom/background would be hard to see, but maybe on a darker color they'd show up better. Is that possible on your unit ... to change the color ?? I don't have an SI, so I'm just guessing/playing devils advocate

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. I'm always looking for more insight on getting the most out of my unit. I have played with the contrast a little, but not lately. The hardest thing for me, and I think most, is seeing the "white dots" up against the lake bottom. As CP mentioned, it's tough to see against the amber background.

I'm all ears, fellas. I would love to feel confident in finding fish in shallow water. So, far, big fish and stumps are about the only thing I can find , since they also give a shadow to help identify.

Post Thanks / Like

Try using the Sharpness menu as well. Turning it up makes it easier for me to see the fish but at the expense of lessening the detail I can see on the bottom.

As for colors: try all that are available in the SI Color menu as everyone’s eyes are a little different. I still like to use the Inverse setting but have been giving the Green/Red some use lately.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can