Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet FATBOY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meet FATBOY

my new Wilderness System 2013 Ride 115, picked it up a couple weeks ago, and had it out 4 or 5 times. Don't have a picture of it when I got it, but got a good deal on it from a dealer in GA that I couldn't pass up. I got the 2013 for the same price as 2012 closeout prices. I've got Fatboy rigged like I want it (for the moment anyways) but only had to drill one hole in the hull for the FF wires to pass thru. I did not want to drill any more holes than needed, so with lots of research and surfing the various kayak forums I've found, I went with Mad Frog Gear mounting pads (one sideboard and one mini side board) that attach to the WS track system on each side of the cockpit with thumbscrews and can slide front to back as needed, hence no drilling for the actual mounting of FF or rod holder. I also used the Mad Frog TDA (transducer deployment arm) so the xducer is hanging off the side, so water temp is accurate and I get a good picture on the Low Mark 5 pro I had collecting dust in the shed. Mad Frog boards can be installed or removed with one or two thumbscrews, and slide the full length of the WS trac system, and are made from starboard. I had a extra Driftmaster two rod T bar holder in the shed as well, got a 4" stem and mounted the base to the larger MF sideboard, so I can remove/install the FF and the rod holder in about 2 minutes. I got a small 12v battery and built a battery box similar to those on various forums, and have used it for about 16 hours of fishing and it doesn't need charging yet. Battery box is in a old small 6 pack cloth cooler for noise reduction if it slides around, and is dropped down thru the front hatch and slid back to the scupper holes for each connection to the FF power leads.

The only thing I'm not too fond of the weight of Fatboy, almost 80 lbs before any rigging, but the stability and comfort of Fatboy "outweights" his weight. Without further ado, HEREEEEEEEEE's FATBOY:

Name:  Driftmaster rod holder with 4 inch stem.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  43.3 KBName:  FF and rod holder on Ride 115.jpg
Views: 5429
Size:  50.7 KBName:  fatboy on the wall.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  36.6 KB

This picture is representative of Fatboy's weight when you get it moving, was swinging it around to hang it on the wall and it put a nice sized dent in my Madza 3 DS fender. Thought I had clearance but guess not huh.
    Name:  fatboy makes an impression 2.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  16.1 KB
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the way you rigged it. I'm gonna look real hard at your rod holders cause I ain't done that yet. Been lookin' and ain't pulled that
    trigger yet. Only difference I can see between ours is the length....Congrats.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks RRR, yeah, the only difference between ours is the length, yours is 13.5' vs mine at 11.5'. The 135 would not fit in the space I had available. Was really wanting an orange one but WS discontinued that color for 2013. Had found a 2012 Ride 115 in orange but it was a 300 mile drive one way to get it, and $200 more, so I got the red which I can live with w/o trouble. The HH gps is not mounted to the boat yet, debating about getting a gps/ff combo to reduce the "clutter" by having seperate FF and GPS units. The HH is a good one but I want to keep the clutter down as much as possible. I have a $200 Lowrance rebate card I have to use by 12/31/12 so.......

I have had the same rod holder on my Tracker PT175 for 2 years now, no issues with it at all, like how it works and such, only difference is a taller stem/upright on the boat versus the 4" stem shown in the pictures. I have another tall stem so I could mount another base somewhere in the general area where the HH gps is if the need or desire arises, and could change over to a spider rigging set up in 5 minutes. The stem just screws into the base which is a permanent mount and locks down with a hex nut or combo of hex nut and collar depending on the lenght of the upright. Remove the upright and cross bar, all you have is a 1/2" tall mounted base on the yak, they have what they call flush mounts that are only about an 1/8" +/- above the mounting surface as well but are for single rod holders not the multi rod holder like I have.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Mind if I ask where you purchased it? Or.....what you had to pay for it?
    I've looked at a lot of different options, and like yours the best. Need to
    make a decision soon since the weather is changin' to favor my kind of
    fishin'. I really like fishin' without sweat in my eyes....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

RRR;

If you're talking about the rod holder(s), see driftmaster.com, have to call to order, but their website has good pictures to help you decide which one(s) will work best for you. BPS and cabelas carry the brand as well, on ebay as well but finding exactly what you want/need is harder. Driftmaster will make it for you if they don't have in stock, and ship w/in a couple days. They even offer left hand threaded holders and bases for the left side of the boat so the holder won't spin loose on ya. I would recommend the LH thread version if you do any longlining. I have to drag bottom or close to it alot on my home lake to catch anything other than dinks/shorts, so the LH threads are nice. I bought the larger sideboard and xducer arm at Cedar Creek Park (an authorized WS dealer), in Cave Spring GA when I bought the Ride 115 under the Harmony brand name, but Mad Frog Gear makes the stuff for Harmony. I ordered the mini side board from HOOK1.com along with some extra thumb screws and brass plates/plugs that are used to attach the sideboards and the packaging said MFG. Both boards look identical, same quality, appearance, all the pre-drilled holes are nice and clean. The driftmaster bases do not line up with the pre-drilled holes, but RAM and Scotty brands do. Drilling 3 holes in the sideboard to mount the star shaped base for the rod holder did not bother me at all as compared to drilling holes in the Ride. I can make more of those side boards from a thick cutting board from wally world during the winter time if I want, or when I find a color other than lime green or white, or if I decide to change up the mounting arrangement on a whim.

You can compare prices between harmony.com and HOOK1, they have the same stuff for the most part, or madfroggear.com has prices listed as well but no rod holders that I remember.

Having used this set up only one time, I am happy with it, and it should work as I expect, and adjustments are very easy to make out on the water, just twist 2 thumb screws, adjust and tighten the thumb screws. done.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet looking Kayak jimp! I haven't been able to force myself to mount any rod holders (currently I only possess the one that came with the Kayak). I very seldom use more than 2 rods while panfishing (3 is the limit here), and there's just not an out-of-the-way spot to mount them (being long-armed and legged), so I just lay the rod(s) across my legs which also keeps the bending/reaching to a minimum (which is a good thing for me).

80 pounds is petty hefty, bummer about the fender btw, I guess that's what spawned the name "Fatboy"?

Now all you need is a plastic patio-chair seat with the legs chopped-off and you're good to go
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

jimp, got a Cabela's near and will check with them first. Thanks for the info. More than two poles at a time will only
    confuse me nowdays, so I'll stick with two holders and concentrate real hard. I've fished mostly single pole all my
    life and doubling up will be something different, but I know I can handle it. I like the idea of slow trollin', driftin and
    jiggin' around trees/brush. Spider riggin' would really be frustratin' if I caught morn' one at a time. Line wrap would
    equate to mind warp. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Nice boat! HOOK 1 is great outfit to deal with... Buying a yak or rigging. Couple of questions...do you have the new AirPro seat? How is the comfort of it....I have 2 Jackson Coosas and love their seat. If you do have the new seat does it adjust for high and low position? I need a good flat water boat and am thinking of getting a Ride 115.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Neonmoon;

I usually only carry 3 rods at the most, and use 2, one for a spare. I only fish with 2 as well and this rod holder does fine for me with just 2 rods on the 9" crossbar. They make an upright for 4 rods but would be way too big for a yak IMO, but could mount 2 of the smaller ones like mine if you really wanted to use more than 2 rods. 4 rods cause too much hassle for me if one gets hung up, so I stick to 2 rods. I tried the "laying the rods" across my legs a couple times, and felt cramped and tied down so to speak, but I endured that while fishing when I was trying to determine my method of mounting a rod holder. No plastic chair for me at this point, the Ride's seat is comfy enough for me, that is one reason I went with the Ride is the seat comfort. I have a WS Pungo 120 as well.

RRR:
    Two rods is not bad at all, been doing 2 rods for a long long time. You could install just one to hold a spare rod or have it hanging off the side with a lure in the water, might catch another one that way. LOL. Even if I do SR, I would only use 2, maybe 3 rods, 3rd being in my hand or lap. I've tried the 4 rods on my boat when longlining, just turned into a mess and tangle, so I stick with 2 rods.

Alpha;
    No, the seat you refer to is an option at this time, only $150 tho. I have the regular seat and it is removable, it slides in a groove with an opening at the most forward position so you can remove the entire seat pan if desired. It has a strap on the front of the seat to make it easy to move the seat forward/back while on the water and has 2 bungee straps to keep tension on the seat base and pull it back when you release the front strap holder on the front of the seat. I'm not sure I would want to sit higher in the Ride but something to consider down the road. The seat is very comfy for me, that's one of the big reasons I bought a WS as the seat is very comfy for me. I've read lots of nice things about the Coosa's.

What part of TN you in, maybe we could meet for a "swap test ride" if you want. This was the 1st time I dealt with HOOK1, but will deal with 'em again when needed.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. The Coosa is a great boat except in one area....even in a small breeze it spins like a top. I fish for trout on the Caney Fork River and the boat shines on a river. But I am a huge crappie and Gill guy and as you know if you find them you need to stay on them. I have an anchor trolley on my boat but that is all the rigging I have done and will not do anymore to it...as I am getting a flat water boat before March. Will keep the Coosa but as most of the time it is always about money. Will be putting a Lowrance 4DSI on the new boat with the Mad Frog Liberator....outfit it with STS...and several other things. I have been in the regular Phase 3 seating but was trying to find someone who has actually been in the new AirPro seat. I live in Southern Mid TN but put about 600 miles a week on a vehicle fishing. East TN would be a stretch for one day drive but could see heading that way for a several day fishing adventure. Comfort and stability are the two most important considerations for me in a kayak. The Ride 115 certainly has the stability. I will contact Chris at HOOK 1 and arrange a demo when he gets the new Rides in with the new seat. I don't really fish in the high position...I am a big guy and don't like getting dunked. I made a big mistake when I bought two Coosa's....one was for my son and other friends who may go along with me. I was leaning toward a Coosa and a Ride 115...but let someone talk me out of that.....a big mistake on my part. Really like the way you have rigged your boat and envy you being close to such great waters to fish...the Summer was brutal on us here in Mid TN.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast