Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Eggs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Eggs

Craig,
    I have been catching quite a few crappie with small egg sacs. My question is are these the old eggs from last Spring being absorbed into the fish or new eggs just starting to develop?

Thank you,
    Joe KitchensName:  photo (2).jpg
Views: 881
Size:  21.6 KB
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DroptineJoe View Post
    Craig,
    I have been catching quite a few crappie with small egg sacs. My question is are these the old eggs from last Spring being absorbed into the fish or new eggs just starting to develop?

Thank you,
    Joe, I find eggs most of the year. I cant really speak for summer months, as I usually dont fish much then. But, the rest of the time they seem to have eggs.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Snagged. I catch crappie year round with eggs in them. I don't think they totally deposit all of their eggs when they spawn.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

That's some mighty fine eating there, if your a catfish. But honestly, those are new, developing eggs. If they don't lay them the eggs will fade and be a pale yellow, creme, or off white color and usually a midsummer thing. I believe they resorb them fairly quickly
    Last edited by crappiedoc; 09-10-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

yes sir reebob thats why they are gettin ready to put the feed bag on so they can develop this winter

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DroptineJoe View Post
    Craig,

Thank you,

Joe,

Like everyone else said, looks like newly developing eggs getting ready for the 2013 spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653