Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville is a mystery to me...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville is a mystery to me...

I've made three trips to S'ville and fished 2 - 3 days per trip and can't figure it out. I've caught dozens of crappie almost every day that I've fished including today (Sept. 5) and they seem to be about everywhere. Lots of bites and lots of crappie should be a great thing except for one small little itsy bitsy detail... They are Xerox copies of each other and are all 8 inches long. I had to catch maybe as many as 8 - 10 before I could get 1 to make the 9 inch mark. I actually kept 15 that were legal, but of this bunch the largest was a bare 10."

At one spot, two guys pulled up about 50' away and started minnow fishing. In the next 15 minutes I caught at least 10 shorts and one 9 1/4" fish and neither of those guys boated a fish. On the way home I stopped at a bait shop and asked the guys there what do you have to do to catch decent size crappie... their response "Use minnows." With that many little 'uns running around, my guess is you would need to buy minnows by the pound to get your limit.

Is it me, or is that just the way it is at Smithville?

Post Thanks / Like

Where were you fishing? Better quality fish are in there. Just gotta find 'em

Post Thanks / Like

Lately it's been all about location, location, location. I haven't touched a minnow all year and have been picking up some pretty nice fish. Of course the bait shops will tell you they are biting on whatever they want to sell!!! The lake is getting pretty close to turn over if it hasn't already started! Try brush piles and clumps of trees.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Small fish hang around small fish. My wife hates it when we are catching small crappie left and right and I want to move.

Post Thanks / Like

It you. Ive never used a minnow on Smithville, ever. Just keep after them.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

sounds alot like your fishing close to the main lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=got crappie;2025174]sounds alot like your fishing close to the main lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE

You are right. I put in at Hwy W and fished south to the Sailboat cove then crossed over and fished different kinds of spots from the marina back to about a mile north of the bridge. I caught fish on brush, dropoffs offs, points, and on a flat about 20' deep. I was using B.G.'s baby shads on 1/16 oz unpainted jigs using 4 & 6 # co polymer line. Most of the fish hit while counting down a jig that was falling on slack line.

As I mentioned I am not familar with the lake and don't feel real good about running a boat on back in those timbered creeks. If someone would/could suggest a better area, I am fine with idling around if there are better fish back there.

Thanks again for the help. I figured I was in for a pretty slow day, when there were only 3 or 4 trailers in the entire parking lot

Post Thanks / Like

It has slowed down some, but they are still there. I'd say the area you've been fishing is the biggest part of it. If you would like to go out and learn north of W and up river let me know. I'd be more than happy to take you out.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ibfestus;2025269]
    Quote Originally Posted by got crappie View Post
    sounds alot like your fishing close to the main lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE

You are right. I put in at Hwy W and fished south to the Sailboat cove then crossed over and fished different kinds of spots from the marina back to about a mile north of the bridge. I caught fish on brush, dropoffs offs, points, and on a flat about 20' deep. I was using B.G.'s baby shads on 1/16 oz unpainted jigs using 4 & 6 # co polymer line. Most of the fish hit while counting down a jig that was falling on slack line.

As I mentioned I am not familar with the lake and don't feel real good about running a boat on back in those timbered creeks. If someone would/could suggest a better area, I am fine with idling around if there are better fish back there.

Thanks again for the help. I figured I was in for a pretty slow day, when there were only 3 or 4 trailers in the entire parking lot
    The main lake wiil pick up the colder it gets over the brush piles you will still have to fight through small ones to I never use minnows. Well I use them for the grand daughter at the bridge where the catching is more importan than the size!!!! You need to have someone to show you how to get up river!!!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterxs170 View Post
    Lately it's been all about location, location, location. I haven't touched a minnow all year and have been picking up some pretty nice fish. Of course the bait shops will tell you they are biting on whatever they want to sell!!! The lake is getting pretty close to turn over if it hasn't already started! Try brush piles and clumps of trees.
    Turnover? I thought fall turnover didn't occur until the surface temperature dropped below that of water beneath the thermocline. Cool fall rains are a big factor. Usually in October at Smithville.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast