Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The feeling of gratitude is sometimes better than the taste of fillets

Post Thanks / Like

Default The feeling of gratitude is sometimes better than the taste of fillets

Well Monday evening was another great time fishing. The gills and crappies were on the feed once again, but just not for everyone. I arrived in a bay about the same time as a boat with an older couple and 3 kids that looked to be in their 20s. There were already 2 other boats in the same area. It was around 6:30 pm and the wind was down to just about nothing. I could see minnows begining to come to the surface and it was only a matter of a few minutes before I saw the feed begin. Gills and specks began blowing minnows up in several large schools. My little jigs were being eaten one cast after another as I paddled from one feeding frenzy to the next. I couldn't help but notice that the boat which arrived at the same time as me was not having much luck at all so I eased over to about 20 yards from them and just watched. The first thing I noticed was the big red and white bobbers on each of the lines. Then I saw a big fat chunk of crawler hanging about a foot under a large split shot, about 4 feet under that big ole bobber. I just couldn't stand it so I eased a little closer and asked if they were trying to catch panfish. They informed me that they had been trying for the past 3 days to catch enough for a decent fish fry but were just not having luck. I then asked if they would like a couple tips that might help them put a few fish on their stringer. They were happy to listen to my advice. The first thing I did was told them all to reel in their baits and just watch for a second. I scanned the water nearby. We only sat for a minute or two before I started seeing the backs of nice gills and crappies emerging from the surface of the water. It was a large school of panfish not more then 30 feet from the family of anglers boat and they had no idea. They actually thought it was weeds on the surface. I pointed out to them that they were definitely fishing far below the majority of the fish and that they should immediately raise their baits. I also had them remove the split shots and scale down the size of the crawler they were using. Then I flipped my little jig into the mess of fish and it no sooner hit the water when a nice bluegill sucked it in. When I set the hooked the surrounding water boiled as the hooked fish made a mad dash through the rest of the school. The look on the families faces was priceless. They really didn't have a clue. I then paddled away and left them to fish. I went about my business putting a dozen and a half nice specks and gills in my bucket and was ready to head back to the house when I saw one of the kids in the boat putting a decent bluegill on their stringer, which still only had 4 fish on it. I was feeling pretty bad for them so I paddled back over to them and asked if they needed a few more fish to help with that fish fry they were wanting. At first they didn't want to take my fish because I then would not have any, but when I informed them that I really did have plenty at home, they were more than willing. Now I love fishing, and I love eating fish, but the gratitude I was given from that nice family was worth more than any batch of fillets in my freezer. What a great evening of fishing it was.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

awesome story

Post Thanks / Like

Great story Frank. Always good to inform those who know no better.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Great gesture with ample rewards.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

What a terrific gesture!! Fine example of thinking of others; wish more people in the world would do simple things like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story Slab.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Story.
    Good fishing to you sir.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Frank. Those folks will talk about that for years. The moderator needs to put this story in the "proud of CDC folks" section.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to you for not only a successful fishing trip, but also a helping another boat of fishermen out! I know the feeling well and when you have Plenty already in the freezer the catching was more important than keeping and of course the giving is one of the best things!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast