Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bang, BLOOM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bang, BLOOM

I was at OSFL last eve, took the neighbor and tried the evening bite, something I haven't done with this heat. Got there just before dinner time, there was a nice breeze, perfect wave action, easy to control the boat and the place has been vacated by the holiday crowd, we owned it. Anyway, about an 1-1/2 before dark and the passing of the building T-storm the winds dropped off to maybe a ripple. Then there was a sheen or slick develop along the break that runs N-S in the middle. What seemed like only minutes, maybe 15, the sheen started turning a light green. Then it became very pronounced with a smell and made the water look like antifreeze. Actually, like a river of antifreeze running down the middle of the lake. My neighbor became concerned about health issues so we moved up North away from the slime, then when the sun just started to approach the horizon the winds died completely with maybe a occasional "gust" of 5mph. At this point, the green started showing along all of the breaks and the water looked weird. We headed for the ramp and the deep water in front of it was much better and then darkness sent us home. I've never seen anything like that and it was such a "experiencing" site. Just plain weird if you ask me.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedoc View Post
    I was at OSFL last eve, took the neighbor and tried the evening bite, something I haven't done with this heat. Got there just before dinner time, there was a nice breeze, perfect wave action, easy to control the boat and the place has been vacated by the holiday crowd, we owned it. Anyway, about an 1-1/2 before dark and the passing of the building T-storm the winds dropped off to maybe a ripple. Then there was a sheen or slick develop along the break that runs N-S in the middle. What seemed like only minutes, maybe 15, the sheen started turning a light green. Then it became very pronounced with a smell and made the water look like antifreeze. Actually, like a river of antifreeze running down the middle of the lake. My neighbor became concerned about health issues so we moved up North away from the slime, then when the sun just started to approach the horizon the winds died completely with maybe a occasional "gust" of 5mph. At this point, the green started showing along all of the breaks and the water looked weird. We headed for the ramp and the deep water in front of it was much better and then darkness sent us home. I've never seen anything like that and it was such a "experiencing" site. Just plain weird if you ask me.
    crappiedoc,

Pretty amazing how quick a bloom can take off, isn't it? Earlier this year Winfield City Lake had a blue-green bloom that reached warning levels. When the bloom came on one of the lake staff watched the bloom go from 'nothing' to a very noticeable bloom in a short time. If conditions are right, things can change in a hurry!