Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Blackford County hunt?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blackford County hunt?

I am headed to hunt a farm around Hartford City Nov.17 - 21 and wondering what weather is like up there that time of year? Never been to Indiana! Also the folks land I am hunting they don't hunt so I really dont know what to expect in size of deer in that area? I have never really been what most would call a trophy hunter but since I am having this opportunity I don't want to fill a tag on anything! Anyone familiar with this area and what I should be looking for?
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm.....you better just send me up there to scout it for you.

As far as temps...pfft, good luck with that. Pack lighweight and heavyweight gear. If you're here for a week, you'll probably use both.

Blackford has a lot of open country, with the southwest portion probably being the better hunting. The state is pretty liberal as far as shooting antlerless deer, but only allows the taking of one in Blackford county. Historically, it ranks pretty low on the total harvest list, but it's also one of the smaller counties.

It sounds like it's a pretty good size farm, so hopefully you'll have a good sized creek bottom with a fair amount of timber. There's plenty of agriculture up there, so you will see many bare fields. Find the best cover and you'll find the deer. The rut will be in full swing, so if you can stand to sit all day, it may be your best chance at seeing the biggest deer on the farm. Good luck!