Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Applying Glitter to Painted Jig Heads??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Applying Glitter to Painted Jig Heads??

I have been powder coating my own jig heads with a fluid bed and various colors of paint. I went by Wal-Mart the other day and picked up some very fine particle glitters in several colors including neons. When and how is the best way to apply these glitters to get a uniform coat on my jig heads?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bandit we use a propane torch heat the leadhead use white as a base,dip in the main color (Red).We pour a little glitter"Wal-mart" in a pie plate or paper plate to use again reuse the left over glitter.Heat the painted head enough"usually a count to 1001,1002,1003 dip in the pie or paper plate of glitter roll the leadhead in glitter reheat just enough to make the glitter stick good then dip in a jar of water if its"hot enough" right you will hear a sizzle when diped in the water than let it cure for 8 hrs.Probaly are right when taken out of the water but thats what works for us.Will have some at crappie camp to see.Hope this helps!! probaly a better and faster way but this is what works for us!!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

After trying many ways the easiest I've found so far is get some clear powder paint and mix the glitter into it. Dip the head the color you want heat back up a bit and dip in the clear and glitter.

I have some mixed powder that even with a load of clear in it and lots of glitter you can hardly see the glitter. I'm still working on it!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

May have to try your method Fatman. I don't think I have any clear right now. I'll have to check.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

If you go with clear get alot of it. Besides the glitter you can use some in the really heavy powder colors as a filler.

Here's a few contrasting paints I did with a paint/clear coat glitter cover. These were done by tapping the mix over the top of the color with a brush. For just a glitter coat use clear and the glitter.

The tube jig on top is dipped straight into the paint/powder glitter mix, to show what it should look like - the second and third are brush taps.

The second picture is the same coating on Chartreuse, orange and olive

As you can see on the orange and olive head what happens when you get too much on!!! If you dip them in a jar make sure to keep the powder and glitter stirred up really good!!!!!!!!!! Myself I prefer a heat gun with dual temp control. Home Depot has a wagner for about $21, it's in the painting section not the tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Fatman!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I do my glitter the same as FatMan....

Slab Stik'r Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I like Crappiehappy!

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by ifish; 09-09-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the links!!!!!!!!! On the powder by the pound - is that just glitter or paint and glitter mix, cause the category says fishing jig lure powder?? If it's just glitter there's only a few colors I'd get but if it's a mix of both maybe more.

I see some of their cure times are different too!!!!!! A very important bit of info!!!!!!!!!!!