Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes

Tomatoes are coming off right and left, but with the intense heat they are not setting well. I and my wife wanted to try Fried Green tomatoes, but have no idea on the correct way to fix them, what stage to pick them and then the batter. Can several chime in, on their preferred methods. We both had them while very young with our grandparents, but many years have since passed and I want to try them while we still have tomatoes available.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,
    Ron, Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

I'll post in the cooking area under "Other recipes other than Crappie" to free this area up.
    CrappieMagnet

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Well Ron .....

I've always had them just sliced and then rolled in yellow corn meal, and fried in an iron skillet. My Grandmother fixed 'em that way, my Mom fixes them the same ... and I fix them that way, too.
    I don't know any special "stage", oil temp, or other info to give you ... other than, you do want to use the "meatier" type of tomato for frying. I've fried Beefsteak, Betterboy, and Roma's ..... and they've all tasted great. .... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Like crappypappy said,cormeal, seasonings and make sure the oil is hot in a good frying pan. I like using the "House Autry" brand breaders if I don't wont to make up my own. Also, try frying them along with okra (if ya like okra), sure is good like that! You can't tell there in there by looking but the taste is unique. You might want to try and pickle some too, thats what I do with most of mine toward the end of the growing season.

fishinRod
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

How green are the tomatoes suppose to be??? Do you use the ones that are rock hard green or that are barely turning with pink?? Man, I can't hardly wait, I appreciate the help from anyone and everyone. Can you envision someone waiting 40 years before they have something they knew was great, but Grandmaw was the only one that ever fixed them. Oh for the memories of grandmaw's everywhere, where would be without them.

Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Almost any stage, I like them Green as a gourd, turning white, turning pink, to almost ripe. All are great and have a different taste.

THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

I have fixed these for years..My mom made these all the time..You can use any tomato you want to..I prefer the hard green ones..But thats just my choice...Slice them up...Roll them in some yellow cornmeal..Fry them in an iron frying pan...Salt and Pepper to taste...This is the old fashioned way of cooking these..You can batter them with any thing..But for me I like it simple..And I don't want the taste over run with something else..You try this and I know you will love them..Fry them until they are golden brown..And then put them on paper towels...Hope you enjoy them....

Post Thanks / Like

We prefer it this way...like egg plant. Slice the tomato about 3/8" thick and let it 'sweat', salt and pepper to taste and roll in FLOUR...NOT corn meal. Fry shallow in a cast iron skillet til golden brown..
    and make twice as many as you think you'll need...cause we nibble on that many while cookin' 'em. Enjoy
    " I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more war. " Abbie Hoffman

Post Thanks / Like

I like em hard and green. Sliced then dipped in egg and rolled in flour. I usually salt and pepper, and only eat until your cholestoral hits 300.
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like them when they are just a little bit pink (not as bitter) rolled in House Autry breading. Don't forget the Texas Pete!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast