Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skirmish at the floating dock...round 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skirmish at the floating dock...round 2

You all knew I had to go back to that floating dock, right? Actually, I went back for the 1st return trip on Monday, late afternoon, but got chased off the water by a storm that I felt sure was going to miss us. I had checked on it before we left but Mother Nature had other ideas. We had about 20 minutes before the rain, thunder and stormy wind made us beat feet for home. Still, I landed 3 nice ones, along with a couple of big 'gills, while my partner landed a number of 'gills and a nice bass.
    Today, I was late getting on the water but headed right back to my new favorite place. I had a fair wind blowing but with some luck my anchor bit in nicely and held me in good position. I have received some new tackle from Southern Pro as well as Bobby Garland so I was ready. Started off with a blue/black/chartruse SP Crappie Stinger. Quickly landed 3 big bluegill before hitting my first crappie, a nice 12"er. A couple more smaller 'gills that went back in for another day, then a really nice calico that spit the hook 4' from the landing net! I was bummed 'cause I think he would have been the largest I've every caught; he was a beauty. I wasn't bummed for long 'cause on the next cast I landed one that went around 14. According to my old DeLiar spring scale he was a bit over 2 lbs and was the big fish of the day. Another gill or 2 and I decided to move down the shoreline 150 yards or so to the next dock and give this one a rest. That dock must have a totally different landscape under and around it since all I took from this new one was one largemouth and about a half dozen small sunnies. I tried lots of different stuff there, other SP stuff and the BG, as well as other things already in my box, trying to entice something bigger to hit but nothing doing. Wind was really starting to pick up as I decided to go back to the first spot. I got anchored back down so I could reach the smoother water on the lee side of the dock and tossed in a smoke colored fish-shaped tube and hooked and soon landed #3, another 12" or so. No other action on that so went back to the Stinger and landed my final one, seemed to be a bit over 12". I called it quits shortly after since the wind was blowing whitecaps at that point and I didn't figure on it getting any better. And I was hungry and this boy gets cranky when he don't eat!
    I have to work on finding them in other spots/covers. I know I can't fish the one location all the time but I sure am having fun right now! And common sense tells me that this is not the only spot on the lake where they are hangin' out. Just have to figure them out and that will take more experience than I have at the moment. I seem to be recognizing whether I've got a crappie, a 'gill or a LM bass nearly as soon as I hook them. Still reading and gleaning ideas to use as the fall fishing approaches. I won't be on the water as much as I have been except on a weekend as I need to get the rest of my firewood ready for the winter; days are getting shorter and not as much time after work for all that needs doing around the homestead. However, I've got more fish in the freezer than I had last year and that's a good thing....and I've landed some NICE calico's this year, too, which is really cool.

Someday I hope I can post a big cooler full of crappie but for now I'll just have to be satisfied with smaller accomplishments! Gotta walk before I can run.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report and fish!

Post Thanks / Like

A good read and some nice looking crappie................
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Just a matter of time before you fill that big cooler with monster croppies.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

WTG,nice crappie
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

Post Thanks / Like

Wtg!
    J

Post Thanks / Like

nice slabs 6pound!

hey there is always after the home chores are done bud. break out the lights on that spot!

Post Thanks / Like

Your "smaller accomplishments" will make for good eating and a lot of fun. Good day, your next big day is on its way!

Post Thanks / Like

Great writing and some really nice fish! I truly enjoy reading your posts. You have a real talent for reporting your trips on the water. Thanks for the reports and the pics!!! Keep 'em comin'!

I only fish on days of the week that end with
    a "Y" ...and then, only if it's raining or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Great reporting and congrats on the catch.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast