Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Yeow! Fishing for Crappie, Got Caught by a Muskie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeow! Fishing for Crappie, Got Caught by a Muskie

I went out casting jigs this afternoon from my canoe and wrapped up the day paddle - trolling a deep-diving crankbait. I caught quite a few crappie, and was heading back toward the ramp, sun going down, when something grabbed the lure and peeled off about 20 yards of my 4-lb test. I thought it was a big walleye . . . had a 6-pounder Saturday. I got the fish turned, then it came up and jumped-- muskie!

I got the fish to the boat, grabbed my pliers, and did my best to stay clear of hooks and teeth. The fish seemed played-out, manageable. I've never caught a muskie till today . . . but plenty of walleye. I see now that dealing with a muskie is a lot different. I steadied the fish, got the pliers firmly onto one of the hooks, and started to turn it out when the fish went totally berserk, came halfway out of the water, and a treble hook went deep into my thumb. Wonderful.

That was what you could call a 'tense moment'; one hook in me, the other in the fish. What a nightmare . . . there was no way to force the point through, and the pliers weren't meaty enough to cut either the hook in me or the one in the fish loose. Yikes! I used my pliers to rip the hook out of my thumb . . . and it's still numb, but it doesn't need stitches or anything, just glad I've had my tetanus shot. I steered the fish alongside a tape measure . . . it was between 32 and 35 inches . . . I gave it some slack, not wanting to tangle anymore with the thing, and fortunately the fish shook its head and let itself go. I guess now I need to start bringing a BIG net, a set of compound bolt cutters, and a steel glove for the next time this happens. I don't ever want to be in the position I was in tonight again! I thought it might be good to let other members know this kind of thing can happen even when you're crappie fishing. Be prepared-- I wasn't. It certainly could have been a lot worse . . . that muskie was a little one.

The sad part is, I think I may have a case of muskie mania now With respect for the, uh, injury potential, I think I am going to have to add some muskie hunting to my usual crappie trips.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a painful experience,where ya fishin?i would make the drive for a few walleye.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Been there, done that .... sort of ...

Fishing at Green River Lake, in South Central KY, I hooked and landed a 12lb/32.5" Tiger Muskie ... on 4lb line, & a 6ft fiberglass rod/plastic reel ... throwing a 1/16oz Chartreuse Roadrunner at shallow wood cover, along the bank ... my usual method for spawn time Crappie, at this lake. She did about three figure 8 runs under the boat, with me backreeling like crazy :D on her runs (didn't have the least amount of faith in the reel's drag). Finally got her to the surface and heading towards the boat ... my partner netted her and brought her over the side. THEN, she really went berzerk !! Thrashing her head, with gills flared, she cut a hole in the net, came loose from the bait, and fell to the floor of the boat. My partner climbed up in his seat :rolleyes: while the thrashing fish knocked rods & tackle boxes everywhere. I (literally) pounced on the fish, hands and feet, and got it under control ... and into the livewell (after measuring her ... legal size limit is 30") Had I not caught this fish with such "wimpy" equipment, I would have just released her. I kept the fish, had it mounted, and sent scale samples to the KDFWR. I got a Certificate of Achievement, documenting the catch & identifying the species. She cost me a few bucks, too :D (rod/reel was pretty much toast after that - new netting for the landing net - and around $100 or so for the mounting job)
    But, this all happened in 1985 ... and the mount still looks as good today, as it did on day 1 !! She hangs on the living room wall, right next to my 7lb LM Bass. I still have a "open" spot, designated for my first 3lb Crappie

1MoreCast ... I wish you luck in your pursuit of these toothy creatures !! But, beware .... not only do they have sharp teeth, sharp gill plates, and a nasty attitude -- but, they can be an expensive critter to pursue. ...... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Bugman, I was fishing Pomme de Terre . . . but if you are going to make the drive just for walleye, I'd go the additional half hour west to Stockton, that's the walleye king in this area. Bull Shoals is further for me to drive, but it has good walleye, too, and they run bigger in that lake.

Wow, thanks for sharing your story, Crappiepappy-- awesome catch, and good luck on that 3 lb crappie I went to Bass Pro today and picked up most of the gear necessary to handle my next muskie safer . . . although I can see these fish don't play by the rules. I'm itching to get out there again!
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what i was thinking i should have known it was pomme since you caught the muskie.How are the walleye doin on stockton?
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geeze

We don't have Muskie in Arkansas. I think I'm happy about that. Sounds like it might be safer catching and landing an alligator.

Post Thanks / Like

Bugman, reports have been good on Stockton walleye . . . they say they are hitting white roadrunners trolled. I've always done best on sassy shad or cranks for them there.
    Thoreau

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhook
    We don't have Muskie in Arkansas. I think I'm happy about that. Sounds like it might be safer catching and landing an alligator.
    Tiger Muskie were stocked in a few places . I know they have been put in Spring River.(Arkansas):D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs