Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a poor confused fisherman pick a new boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help a poor confused fisherman pick a new boat

Okay my comparison chart is abit long winded but I've spent months and months looking at about every boat I think ever made. I've narrowed down to 4 options right now. One of my requirements that adds to the difficulty is it has to be a jet outboard. I will be using this for 50/50 Musky/Crappie. I need to haul 1-2 people besides myself(usually 1), Rod lockers are nice for travel and security but not a deal breaker. My price range is abit varied but here's the deal: Seeing as a new boat is not something I *need*, I do not want a massive payment I have to make. I plan to pay likely 500+ a month on it but I don't want to *have* to make that payment. I want something more $200-$250ish. I can meet that with any of these boats depending on time financed and that will also determine how many thousand I put down. I'm at least gonna make sure tax is paid instead of financed. Also whichever way I'm getting a 55lb Terrova with ipilot and an 898Hbird. So without further babbling here are the competitors ranging from purpose built jet, to slightly odd to see as a jet.

SeaArk 1660 Tunnel Jet
    1660 Tunnel hull $5161
    yamaha controls $502
    .125 diamond plate full floor $906
    alaskan center console $571
    electrical package and trolling motor bracket $600
    12gal. bow fuel tank $750
    floatation pods $381
    gatorhide spray in liner $577
    marine master trailer $1280
    60/40 Yamaha Jet $7977
    $18712 total cost plus electronics/TM/financing
    Rod locker available as well.
    Size: 16ft 60in wide bottom 475lb empty hull
    Pros:any option imaginable, flotation pods available, lifetime hull puncture warranty
    Cons:$$$$$$

Alumacraft Sierra 1648MV
    boat/trailer $3299
    lights/electrical $250
    bilge pump $60
    40/30hp Yamaha jet $6242
    $9851
    size: 16ft with 48" bottom 310lbs
    Pros: cheap, very lightweight, decent speed, storage can be added
    Cons:slightly less stable, no livewell/rodlockers.

G3 1656CCJ
    boat/trailer/60/40 Yamaha Jet $16725
    size 16ft with 56 in. bottom 810lbs which includes decks/console/floor
    Pros: awesome layout, nice decks, and looks great.
    Cons:heavy boat, no rod locker

LUND 1600SS Fury
    boat/trailer/40hp Mercury jet(28hp) $15000
    size:16ft, bottom width??? 550lbs
    Pros:It's a Lund. It's a Lund. Oh, and it's a LUND! rod lockers, livewell, and full floors. Looks great and can handle rough water. JustEncase rear deck/storage can be added.
    Cons:slightly heavy for a 28hp motor

Post Thanks / Like

Look at Excel boats.........If i had to pick from your 4 my pick would be Sea Ark then Lund then G3
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

War Eagle....They bad to the bone.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a SeaArk boat or 2 and liked what I saw, some positive comments on being built like a tank, and the options you have are always nice. Why would you need the "electical package option and TM bracket"? If you're staying with a 55# Terrova, the standard wiring should be adequate unless you're thinking upgrades on down the line. If you're thinking upgrades, might as well do the upgrade now vs waiting. The 55# should do well on that boat based on weight, etc., Not sure about the TM bracket as well, but again, not real familiar with this set up you've listed. GL
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently a Lund became available in TX. Here is a link It's a LUND !!! And it's for sale now. - Texas Fishing Forum It looks like nice rig.
    BnM Poles *** Lake Fork Trophy Lures *** Bee Ready- Rod Holders for a Lifetime

Post Thanks / Like

The electrical package is what includes any TM wiring. Basically you get just a bare hull, then go from there. So the bracket on the bow for a TM and all wiring has to be an option as some people may just buy that hull and run a tiller without any nav lights, 12V plug, etc. I appreciate the other nods, but I've looked at all the other brands out there, and these are my options. I've got close dealer support for both Alumacraft(dad works at the Alumacraft dealer) and SeaArk. Both within 25 minutes of me. Lund dealer is 4 hours away but one of my locals is also a Merc dealer for service/support. G3 dealer is about an hour and a half away but I've got local support for Yamaha. And also I'm not looking at used. I considered that route, but I've never got a new boat and that's what I intend to do.

Post Thanks / Like

I take it with the jet motor you are running shallow rivers? If so I would go Sea Ark and also get the ice runners added to help protect that tank hull some more.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's gonna be used in some rivers for muskie a good bit and possibly trout. Although cost is higher the SeaArk lifetime hull puncture warranty to original owner sounds pretty nice!

Post Thanks / Like

All four boats you mentioned are good choices, I can't see where you could go wrong with any of them. That said, I have owned 2 SeaArks and still currently own 1 of them. As mentioned above, they are built well and should hold up very well for your intended use.

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and get a Ranger, nothing rides or fishes like a ranger! They have a model that fits your needs and they do not blow around in the wind, I've been guiding for ten years and have a had a Ranger the last 5 monthes, it was an upgrade in every way from the launch to loading up! Its the best crappie fishing boat out there! EB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast