Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A crazy evening for fishing, story and pic

Post Thanks / Like

Default A crazy evening for fishing, story and pic

Here is my crazy little fishing episode from last evening.
    I knew it was time that crappies and bluegills are bound to begin the journey from the deeper water toward the surface and shallower bays to gorge themselves on minnows before winter sets in. I also knew that yesterday I would only have about an hour to fish since I work until 6pm and it is an hour drive home. The moon was going to rise about an hour and a half before sunset which was sure to create a good bite from the panfish. Add the moon to the ideal weather, warm days cool mornings and nights, and it all adds up to the ocassional feeding frenzy.At 6pm sharp I closed up shop and headed home. At 7pm I was in the door, changed clothes, loaded my rod and reel, tackle, and safety cushion. My kayak was already by the lake just three houses down so I rushed down there, loaded my gear in my kayak and hauled it down the hill to the lake. Just before putting my kayak in the water I realized that I had forgot my paddle. I ran home, grabbed my paddle and was back at my kayak in two minutes. The crazy thing is my kayak was not there. It had slid the rest of the way down the hill where I keep it and was floating about 50 yards offshore. I paced back and forth in the knee deep water pondering "why me?", and wondering how the heck I was going to get my kayak back, wasting at least 10 minutes of the precious evening light.Lucky for me a nice young couple came along in a pontoon and pushed my kayak back to me where I stood chomping at the bit knowing that I was probably just about out of fishing time. The young man in the pontoon assured me that I still had time and might as well give it a try, so I took his advice and sprint paddled the 1/2 mile to my favorite little panfishing bay. WHOOOOHOOOOO!!!! I put 40 fish in my kayak in 40 minutes. I bet you'll never guess where I will be at 7pm this evening. And I am not going to forget my paddle this time as it is already in my car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Now that have it together go get um tonight.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay'n that late, hope you have a light. I'm always afraid of a Bass boat running me over here!
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    Stay'n that late, hope you have a light. I'm always afraid of a Bass boat running me over here!
    I left right after sunset with my headlight and taillight blazing and was still nearly run over. In fact it was the closest I have ever been to being swamped. Then the idiot who was driving the speed boat have the nerve to turn around and let me have it because I was out there in my kayak after dark. He said I had no right to be out on the lake that I live on when there are speed boats out there after dark. I pointed out the fact that if he had not been going 40 mph he probably would have seen me sooner. He didn't think it was his responsibility to drive slower after dark. Instead he insisted that it was my responsibility to signal him to let him know that I was there. I then pointed out all the lights on my kayak. When my lights are on there is no mistaking that I am there. I have a headlight on my bow that is visible from 360 degrees then I also have to side lights on my bow that point directly to the port and starboard. Then I have a bright red light on my stern which is also visible from 360 degrees plus I have a flashing red light on the back of my seat. You don't see the lights on my kayak in the picture as I was sitting right next to shore getting ready to leave and had not turned them on yet. Believe me, when I am paddling after dark being run over is my number one concern. It is bad enough during the day. In fact I have had far more close calls during daylight hours than I have after dark.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

good story Frank, sounds like your going to be eating good

Post Thanks / Like

darn PBers anyway. No respect for the valid boaters.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabsrus View Post
    I left right after sunset with my headlight and taillight blazing and was still nearly run over. In fact it was the closest I have ever been to being swamped. Then the idiot who was driving the speed boat have the nerve to turn around and let me have it because I was out there in my kayak after dark. He said I had no right to be out on the lake that I live on when there are speed boats out there after dark. I pointed out the fact that if he had not been going 40 mph he probably would have seen me sooner. He didn't think it was his responsibility to drive slower after dark. Instead he insisted that it was my responsibility to signal him to let him know that I was there. I then pointed out all the lights on my kayak. When my lights are on there is no mistaking that I am there. I have a headlight on my bow that is visible from 360 degrees then I also have to side lights on my bow that point directly to the port and starboard. Then I have a bright red light on my stern which is also visible from 360 degrees plus I have a flashing red light on the back of my seat. You don't see the lights on my kayak in the picture as I was sitting right next to shore getting ready to leave and had not turned them on yet. Believe me, when I am paddling after dark being run over is my number one concern. It is bad enough during the day. In fact I have had far more close calls during daylight hours than I have after dark.
    please do not deer hunt in that area ! the little blinking light on you cap will be mistaken for a coons eye twinkling in the moon light .

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a story for Liers Club Friday night!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-02-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

nice story
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!