Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big Piney River

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Piney River

hey fellas, i am planning on doing a week long fish 'n float on the big piney during the beginning of july. i've never been on that river but i've heard that it is amazing. any thoughts? has anybody been on it ever, it is not supposed to be crazy busy over the fourth. just looking for any input from trusted compadres. and just to keep this about crappie...
    uhhhh....sure, all i'll be fishing for is crappie, big brown striped crappie with red eyes that fight like the dickens and should be the missouri state fish.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fryguy
    hey fellas, i am planning on doing a week long fish 'n float on the big piney during the beginning of july. i've never been on that river but i've heard that it is amazing. any thoughts? has anybody been on it ever, it is not supposed to be crazy busy over the fourth. just looking for any input from trusted compadres. and just to keep this about crappie...
    uhhhh....sure, all i'll be fishing for is crappie, big brown striped crappie with red eyes that fight like the dickens and should be the missouri state fish.
    The Big Piney is about the best Smallmouth Bass river in the state. I live in Rolla now but did live in Licking for years. Floated the river between Boiling Springs and Slab Town to many time to count. The area north of Slab Town is the best fishing I hear for small mouth and wild trout. Good luck. Hope it rains the week before you float. When it is dry this is a rough river to float. Not heard of any one fishing for crappie in this river.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

An ultra light or Fly Rod or both. Anything that looks like a crawdad will work. If you can find some 3/16oz Buzzbaits in Black with a Black blade get a couple, they'll kill em early and late in the day. I used to spend the summers at Fort Leonard Wood with my brother (he was stationed there) when i was around 15. Man we lived on that river. Don't know how you feel about live bait but if you siene you some small crawfish and drift them by the laydowns and rootwads under a float you'll not be sorry...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    An ultra light or Fly Rod or both. Anything that looks like a crawdad will work. If you can find some 3/16oz Buzzbaits in Black with a Black blade get a couple, they'll kill em early and late in the day. I used to spend the summers at Fort Leonard Wood with my brother (he was stationed there) when i was around 15. Man we lived on that river. Don't know how you feel about live bait but if you siene you some small crawfish and drift them by the laydowns and rootwads under a float you'll not be sorry...izzy
    Did you catch crappie?
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget about the goggleye the piney is full of em.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Smallies Duane, i think thats what fry is going after...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, in general during the hot months of june, july,and august the only place you will find me with a rod in my hand is a nice, cold, ozark stream stalking the bronzebacks. plus it keeps your beer cold.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ya fry i'll be on the gasconade sat after goggleye and hopefully a smallie or two.

www.simplycrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bugman
    I'm with ya fry i'll be on the gasconade sat after goggleye and hopefully a smallie or two.

Have you ever fished the gasconade river for crappie?
    I have heard it has some good crappie fishing in it.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of years ago a buddy and i fished it early in the spring and flat wore em out in a slough and they were nice fish but for some reason we never tried it again we usually float it a couple times a year and usually fish for goggleye we normally catch a few crappie every trip but never like that trip early in the year.

www.simplycrappie.com