Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BnM Rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default BnM Rods?

I have 2, 10' BnM Crappie rods & 1, 8' rod. The Difference, a Sam Heaton, and the 8 footer is a Bucks jig rod. I have broke the tip section on one 10 footer and the 8 footer. One on a Channel Cat, and the other on a Drum

I called BnM to see what their policy is and the lady told me I could send the sections in and they would inspect and see if there were any defects then we could go from there. She also asked me what line I was using and I told her 10# Power Pro Hi Vis Yellow braid. She informed me that the rods were Crappie rods and rated only for 2# to 8# test so I guess I voided any warranty as flimsy as it seems. I do keep my drag set light so I doubt that is the problem.

Has anyone else had these type of issues? I do my best to always protect the rods and they were only 2 to 3 months old. The Difference rod was only fished with on 2 outings.

One thing that does bother me is the "Made in China" that is printed on the rod. To me the price of these rods should warrant a quality product. I welcome any and all comments but if you are on BnM's Pro Staff or anyone else's ProStaff please be honest and own up to it. I've been there done that!

Are there any Quality Crappie Rods "Made in the USA" ???

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    Has anyone else had these type of issues? I do my best to always protect the rods and they were only 2 to 3 months old. The Difference rod was only fished with on 2 outings.
    The tip sections are thin and easily damaged. There are loads of "my rod tip broke" or "need a replacement tip" threads on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    One thing that does bother me is the "Made in China" that is printed on the rod.... Are there any Quality Crappie Rods "Made in the USA" ???
    Virtually every rod under $100 is made overseas.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

MeanV2 ... you got the service rep speech. What you need to do is call BnM back & ask to speak with Jack Wells (& ONLY him). Tell him you're a member here, what your story is, and politely ask if he would send you new rod tips (free of charge). BUT, do that ONLY if you really do like the rods (regardless of where they were "made"). Jack owns BnM ... and is a member of this site. He's handled similar situations, for other members, and the outcome is usually free replacement tips sent to the member. He may not be so inclined to do the same, for someone bad mouthing his product/company.

There ARE quality Crappie rods "made in the USA" ... but, you WILL pay a "quality" price for them.

(FYI) I've fieldtested rods for BnM & ESP, but I'm not a "prostaff" member of either/any brand. I've also won two BnM rods, donated by Jack Wells/BnM to tournaments/Slabfest outings associated with this site.

... cp :Kewl

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 of the Buck's Ultimate 10' rods and have had them for something like 6-8 years and never had any problem at all! They are good rods!
    I just bought a Gold Jig Pole a couple months back so can't say too much about that one yet. Also have a couple Wally M. Rods that they don't make any longer and like them as well.

So far the only ones my family has had a tip break was my son's and he did that in the truck door!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Rod tips break on occasion, just how it is when using UL equipment. 99% of the time it is your own fault. I guide a good bit and have a set of C&C's I have been using for over a year, haven't broken a tip yet but it will happen. That's why they sell replacement tips.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Rod tips break on occasion, just how it is when using UL equipment. 99% of the time it is your own fault.
    Yep. In thirty-five years of fishing, I've broken the tips of exactly two rods. Both occurred on dry land, and both were completely my fault.

Post Thanks / Like

I have No problem accepting the fault for breakage. I am far from an expert and definitely not free of fault. I just wish I knew how I did it! I don't think the 10# test Power Pro had anything to do with it at all, but I could be wrong

The 8' rod broke about an inch or so back from the tip, while the 10' Difference pole snapped pretty much in the middle of the tip section. I can guarantee you they were never caught in a pick up door or tail gate either

Broke while fishing and landing above fish, I did not try to lift either fish into the boat. They were netted. I am sure it could have been me as the cause of their failure, but not totally convinced either. Especially since they broke in such different places. I did purchase the tip sections but I plan to buy 4 or so more rods of different brands.

Anyone have any suggestions on that venture?

After a few years fishing different rods I am sure I will form my own opinion about which I prefer

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Rod tips break on occasion, just how it is when using UL equipment. 99% of the time it is your own fault. I guide a good bit and have a set of C&C's I have been using for over a year, haven't broken a tip yet but it will happen. That's why they sell replacement tips.

Post Thanks / Like

i live 25 minutes from b&m and i have broken more than my share of there jig poles and im certain that if you call jack wells not his secretary they will make it right of course if it something that you have done to break the tips like i have done they sell the tips for $13.00 and in my opinion that is cheap good luck
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

Have used B&M poles for many years and have never broke a tip holding
    a fish. The braided line might cause the tip to break if you set the hook
    hard because it has no stretch.I have landed up to 20# cat and 8# goo
    with no problem.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I store my bnm rods in PVC rod cases I made myself. The one time the tip broke I called Jack Wells and he said send him the rod. Two weeks later he sent me a replacement.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast