Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Tournament Rules: Do they need to be changed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Tournament Rules: Do they need to be changed?

Let me start by saying that I understand why the rules are the way they are in today's crappie tournaments. Second, let me say that I will continue to fish for crappie until the day I die or am unable to be transported to a boat in a wheel chair or something to continue to fish for crappie. Third, as much as I hate to say it, I am on the fence as to whether or not I will continue to fish crappie tournaments? As much as I like the tournaments (which I am planning to continue in tournaments at least for this year) I just feel like the tournaments could be much more competitive if there were rule changes. I fished the MO State Championship over the weekend and was beside myself as to some of the things I noticed throughout the tournament. The rules stated that no one could be on the water after 4 PM on Friday. At the conference later in the evening it was stated that we were not allowed to fish until 6:30 Saturday morning. I saw at least 8 boats leave out of Bucksaw around 4:45. I was under the impression that we were not to leave our put in sight until 6:30 (my bad). Also the rules clearly state that you are not to have any alcohol in your boat during the tournament. I know that this rule was broken because I saw people with beer during the tournament. I wish I could of had a couple, might have changed my perspective on the day. Also, I know it has raised controversy in the past, but should spider-rigging be allowed, how many lines does it take? Is 16 hooks enough or do we need 32. What's wrong with one or even a second pole for a back-up, It just seems that it would be much more competitive if everyone left out of the same spot at the same time, with the same amount of poles. It just doesn't make sense to me to arrive at a weigh-in for a tournament in a truck driving from the another county somewhere on the lake, and it presents far to many opportunities for people to cheat. And as much as I hate to say there are people out there that cheat. I like to think that we are all honest and ethical people in the world, but unfortunately we don't live in that world any more.

Fortunately, I was able to share my thoughts with Mr. Alpers the President of CrappieMasters, as he and I had an extensive discussion later Saturday evening about some of my thoughts and concerns. We talked about how the integrity of the Crappie Masters Tournament Series is maintained through the current polygraph system, and how more fisherman enter the tournaments due to the current rules. I agreed with Paul on several of his points and he was open to listen the concerns I had. We had several laughs as well. Some of the other fisherman seemed to be interested and joined in the conversation as well. All in-all I think that more could be done to make all crappie tournaments to be more competitive and I am curious to what others in the community think.

Post Thanks / Like

would be awesome in my opinion if there were a one pole one jig no live bait tourney series and a championship just like any other tourney schedule but with one pole and one jig,you make a lot of great points and agree with you on a lot of them GOOD FISHING
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I with you seriously, Crappie fishing touraments rules are too loose. If I were to fish it would need to be more like the Bass boys do. Leave from same site, same time, and no trolling or live bait. But that's just my opinion. I know I will be bashed for even thinking this.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I dont fish tournaments and wont fish em for some of the reasons you have stated. Pole count dont bother me cause thats part of our sport. The others I agree invite less than ethecal behavior per say.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never liked the "roll up in your truck and weigh" rule. Who is to say whether that person was using a different ramp or different lake.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with some points. I am all for leaving out of the same ramp at the same time and everyone arriving at the ramp by boat, i feel ya on that. I do not agree with cutting down the amount of rods used. 8 rods with 2 hooks per line is totally acceptable in my opinion, its fair because everyone is allowed to use them, not just a select few. If you are strictly a one pole fisherman (not saying you are) then might wanna step back from tournament fishing. Alot of them can be won with a single pole but in many cases you either have to push, pull, or whatever. The competiton is at a high level now and if you limit the way someone can fish then all you are doing is decreasing competititon. It takes a good fisherman to know wheter or not to spiderrig, troll, shoot docks, or vertical jig. If you are a tournament fisherman and getting your butt kicked by guys that are either trolling or spiderriggin then maybe you need to get out there, get some more equipment and learn how to do it so you can compete (not saying this to you just speaking in general.) I fished in 2 different CrappieUSA tournaments this year and guys fished all different ways, one way at each tourament being more productuve than the others, you have to learn which way is the best for the day and thats why these tournaments are competitive. limiting the way to fish is a big no-no im my opinion.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

There are one pole tournaments around, you just may have to do some traveling to get there. If there are many more people that feel the same way about one pole fishing maybe you should start a little club up in your area and see how it goes, maybe your on to something.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the anglers on the Crappie Masters trail are top notch stand up people and Paul Alpers runs a good operation.

Rules are certainly debatable as to what people like, don't like and why. However, once established everyone is playing by the same rules.

If you know someone violated the rules just inform the tourney Director in writing and the violators will have to pass a polygraph. To me this seems to make everything an even playing field for all.
    BnM Poles *** Lake Fork Trophy Lures *** Bee Ready- Rod Holders for a Lifetime

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished tourneys in the past, from fruit jars to the CM Classic. I cannot agree with you about multiple poles, because like someone said it's an accepted part of our sport and everyone has the opportunity to use them. The use of alcohol during tournament hours should be an automatic DQ. The one thing that always got under my hide was that the big sponsored teams had so called "pro-staff" working with them, giving tips, info, and exact locations to fish. These pro-staff guys are usually local guides or popular anglers on the chosen lake, they usually get paid by getting free gear from the big teams sponsors in addition to that the guides get quite a bit of notariaty by being to boast about being a pro-staffer for such and such company. On the other hand if I am just an average joe fisherman in one of these tourneys it is against the rules to hire a guide to show me the lake, even if I never seen the lake before. I know their are several pro teams od many pro-staffers, so I will probably catch some flack from these statements, but this issue has always struck me as a double standard
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast