Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Croppie or Crappie???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Croppie or Crappie???

Well folks I will tell y’all a secret that I try to keep from my fishin’ buddies down hair in North Carolina when I now “reside”. I was born in and lived in NE Ohio. Yes sir, I was born a Yankee.

When I was a kid, me, my friends, and all my neighbors loved to go “Croppie” fishing. But just 12 miles East of where I grow up, just across the Pennsylvania Sate Line, they fished for “Crappie”. Then the other day I talked to a guy from Indiana and when I said “crappie” he laughed. He said they fish for “croppie”.

So let’s take a pool, what area say “croppie” and which say “crappie”. May be fun to find out??
    Jim
    Jim's Wholesale Fishing Tackle Supply
    Full Line of Little and Big Skunks
    UltraLite Umbrella Rig©

Wholesale Dealer for:

Post Thanks / Like

Up here in MI I've heard it pronounced "croppie", "speck", and in some parts "calico bass"...never "crappie"

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

The later. I'm from Arkansas and live in Missouri. I chuckle when they say it the other way.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

We call them Sac A Lait down here! I have a tough time eating something that starts with Crap...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim .... look down at the very bottom of this page, under Similar Threads ... we've had this discussion a few times before !!

Basically it boils down to "where" you are, as to "how" you pronounce the name. And then there's some that don't even call them "Crappie" (however you pronounce it), but use everything from regional nicknames to names of a totally different specie of fish (ie : calling them a "perch", "Batchelor Perch", or "Strawberry Bass").

Most dictionary pronunciations will say "crop E" or "CROP e". I grew up hearing them pronounced "croppie", and even occasionally called "Newlights" (by my Grandfather). I never heard the word pronounced "crap E" until I fished in Tenn. Even there, some would balk at pronouncing it that way. I use both pronunciations, interchangeably, as most people I'm around know what I'm referring to, regardless of how it's pronounced.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Specks! ! !
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Heard them all and way down here when I was a kid we mostly called them White Perch and some still do. I call them Croppie as far as pronouncing it, but spell it Crappie.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

here in Mississippi we call the pigs,hawgs,brutes and monsters
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Heard them all and way down here when I was a kid we mostly called them White Perch and some still do. I call them Croppie as far as pronouncing it, but spell it Crappie.
    I used to fish Skip's neck of the woods fairly regularly. Specially in winter when they stack up in the Chicken Coop. Just to agrevate my buddy(about 30 years ago), I was calling them "crappie". An old timer at the bait stand lined me out real quick and wanted to know where I came from. I also remember my grand father went "white perch" fishing when I was a kid in deep East Texas.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Croppie all the way from Indiana

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast