PDA

View Full Version : Double jig rig

Dmcgee
06-12-2006, 06:06 PM
are there any good ways to rig 2 jigs at a time. Id anyone has a pic or 2 I would appreciate it...............Drew

sccamper
06-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Tie one jig and leave 12 - 24" tag line, tie the bottom jig with the tag line to whatever depth you want. Use a polamor knot. I dont have a picture but go to animated knots by greg for the polamor knot. Ive rigged this way useing 4 jigs, could do as many as wanted or allowed.

SwampHunter
06-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Tie one jig on the end of the line as if you would normally rig it. About a foot or so from it fold your line and tie an overhand knot and leave enough of a loop to put a jig through. Fold the loop in the center and put this through the eye of a jig. Now put the jig through the loop and pull tight. Works great. Of course there are other ways.

slabbatical
06-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Use the board's search engine and you may find many descriptions...here's one of the best...a video.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=20100&highlight=double

shipahoy41
03-20-2010, 03:22 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/getit.jpg

I use a loop knot on the top and bottom. Comments?

beagle man
03-20-2010, 04:29 PM
thats a joke right?

shipahoy41
03-20-2010, 06:46 PM
thats a joke right?

Not if you know how to tie a loop knot. Troll or cast under a slip float.

Fishawk
03-20-2010, 08:21 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/getit.jpg

I use a loop knot on the top and bottom. Comments?

I use a double jig rig a lot. I used to use the loop knot but I kept breaking the line when I set the hook, even after I moistened the line before drawing the knot tight. I now use a palomar and have not had a problem.

SpeckBuster
03-21-2010, 08:27 AM
I use a three way "T" swivel to tie mine. I tie up several in advance and use a protion of a foam pool noodle to wrap them up and store them to use while fishing. I find less problems with line twist when I am long line trolling. I get a lot of doubles and I can use the weigth of both jigs to get the depth that I need.

Blackdog40
03-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Best is to use a Polamar Knot on the bottom and top. The knot is strong and will not cut your line.

ReelfootYankee
03-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Double over hand.

shipahoy41
03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Here is a much better photo of what I have been using.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/setup-1.jpg

abarkley
03-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Try these (http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/productdetail.aspx?id=flickerspiderrigs) out. They're convenient, they work and they're a site sponsor.

c1bigocarp
03-26-2010, 09:24 AM
I use the palomar knot and have no problems. Pull the line on you hook to get a good crease to thread the doubled lline through your eye of the hook.

Dogrockit
03-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Palomar is tough no doubt,but those loops let your bait "swim" in a natural postion-thus making for a better presentation.

Ken Jones
03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
I tie the upper jig with a loop knot and the bottom jig polamar style. Shipahoy41 in your first picture you said you used a slipboober setup. I'm confused the second picture you call a Waggler style. Is that a slip setup? or a fixed setup.?

GrouseFly
03-28-2010, 01:08 PM
We use these.... http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa199/PopeyeMaker/21808021.jpg It makes everything alot simpler...lol.

azslabber
03-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow, Grousefly,do you make them?Never seen one before.

bluethunder
03-28-2010, 02:24 PM
I've never seen one before either. I'm interested in ordering some of those. Let me know where to get them.

wilbur
03-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Ive seen little ones for ice fishing I think dave genz maybe They call them stacker jigs

Ken Jones
03-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Grousefly-Very interesting jig. Me I have never seen one either.

shipahoy41
03-28-2010, 05:48 PM
I tie the upper jig with a loop knot and the bottom jig polamar style. Shipahoy41 in your first picture you said you used a slipboober setup. I'm confused the second picture you call a Waggler style. Is that a slip setup? or a fixed setup.?

a "waggler" style just means the float is attached at the bottom. It is very effective with the line under water in windy conditions. I do rig it in a "slip" fashion by using a bobber float stop.

slickwater1
03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
hey ship i caught several doubles today using your style. thanks for the tip. def go waggler style.

GrouseFly
03-28-2010, 06:27 PM
That's what I call my version...lol. You can use two-three or ever how many you want to try at a time. We use them for trolling two different colors of soft plastics at one time. No extra lines to get tangled. It all hangs in a nice neat straight line without all the hassle of dropper lines going every which way. Something I came up with to fill a nitch...lol...Good Fishin'...

shipahoy41
03-28-2010, 06:34 PM
hey ship i caught several doubles today using your style. thanks for the tip. def go waggler style.

Thanks. Like I said it works for me. Other methods work too. It is just what you have confidence in. I used a hot needle to make the hole at the bottom so it could be used in a slip style.

BenFL01
03-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Ok, Ship you got me going (again). I have been burning up to ask... what is the proper presentation of fishing a jig under a slip float. Do you move it much, or even at all? Is it something you want to just sit and let the water and current do the working? Fishing it 'waggle' style allows the wind and water to move it some?

I think I would love to give this a try fishing with my canoe tied off to the grass line and casting out into the water near, and let the wind / current slowly move my jigs under floats.

Fish have been really finicky at some of our fishing spots of late, and we have been catching most on slow drifting minnows or grass shrimp.

shipahoy41
03-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Ok, Ship you got me going (again). I have been burning up to ask... what is the proper presentation of fishing a jig under a slip float. Do you move it much, or even at all? Is it something you want to just sit and let the water and current do the working? Fishing it 'waggle' style allows the wind and water to move it some?

I think I would love to give this a try fishing with my canoe tied off to the grass line and casting out into the water near, and let the wind / current slowly move my jigs under floats.

Fish have been really finicky at some of our fishing spots of late, and we have been catching most on slow drifting minnows or grass shrimp.

When it is "Breezy" you cannot beat fishing with a "Waggler Style" float or instead of making one go buy one. "Waggler Style" to me just means the line is under the water so your presentation is not affected by the winds. The key to float fishing is to fish it slow. Usually I will cast it out and let it just sit a few seconds. Then I will start a slow and sometimes "erratic" retrieve to imitate a wounded minnow trying to swim. When I think I am going slow I slow it down some more. I may move the float 6-10 inches then pause while the presentation "Swims" back under the float. After a few seconds I will move it again.

When water is "Choppy" you will get all the "jigging" action you need as the waves will activate the Marabou or hackle. If you are using kip tail you will want to keep it moving more. I try and imaging a minnow swimming and fish it that way. If you are fishing brush piles you will want more of a direct "Vertical" presentation to eliminate snags. Use a 10+ foot pole and just vertically drop your offering into the area.

Just my opinion and what works for me. Hope it helped.

BenFL01
03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Makes good sense. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks.

gone_fishing
03-30-2010, 04:37 AM
Great idea Grousefly now you better get to work on my order before I call you and change it lol.

GCD
03-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Palomar is tough no doubt,but those loops let your bait "swim" in a natural postion-thus making for a better presentation.

Exactly!!!

Palomar and clinch knots have no business on a jig!

I use the Double Surgeons knot for my jigs.

The people that are breaking their line on hooksets or fish need to replace their line and reconsider their drag setting.:rolleyes:

skiptomylu
03-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Try these (http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/productdetail.aspx?id=flickerspiderrigs) out. They're convenient, they work and they're a site sponsor.

OK, what are the little hash marks between each end and over and under the sinker? I feel it some kind of stop, but what?

Oh and Ship I use one of that kind of float all the time except the one I use most is fixed with one of them spring things. I just fish one jig at a time in shallow water though and about the only time I use a float. Works great on my little new hair jigs for sure.

Skip

CrappiePappy
03-30-2010, 09:26 AM
OK, what are the little hash marks between each end and over and under the sinker? I feel it some kind of stop, but what?

Skip

I think they are what they look like they are .... just hash marks. Probably just to indicate that the line could be longer between each component.

I do, however, think there should be "some kind of stop" between the egg sinker & hook :p ... otherwise the egg sinker is going to be right down on top of the hook ;)
Maybe the egg sinker has a rubber core, & doesn't need a stopper ?? Don't know .... never seen/used this rig before.

... cp :cool:

skiptomylu
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I think they are what they look like they are .... just hash marks. Probably just to indicate that the line could be longer between each component.

I do, however, think there should be "some kind of stop" between the egg sinker & hook :p ... otherwise the egg sinker is going to be right down on top of the hook ;)
Maybe the egg sinker has a rubber core, & doesn't need a stopper ?? Don't know .... never seen/used this rig before.

... cp :cool:

Thanks, and I think most that use the egg sinker run their line through it 2 or 3 times so it will not slide. I am actually going to try spider rigging with minnow and jigs today or this week for sure ( it will be my first time not only the spider rigging, but minnows in the spring is a first for me). Not a lot of rods as I don't even want to think about watching 6 rods or something like that. I think maybe 2 is enough for me, LOL! I do like to relax when fishing some.

Going to use a egg sinker with the line run through it 2 times and my hook of choice is going to be a bass hook, Gamakatsu Drop Shot hook size #1 or #2. I feel the minnow can move better with a good small hook.