Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What does it mean

Post Thanks / Like

Default What does it mean

I have been doing a lot of crappie fishing here in the last few weeks. And everytime I go I catch a ton of fish but they are mostly 9- 9.75" which is just shy of the 10" limit here in TX. I would say I haven't caught any big or even nice sized crappie. Whats the deal is it the spot or the bait or what? Say if I catch 100 about 20 make the 10" mark. Is this common? What can I change to improve the size?

I have always heard to use small to medium sized minnows when fishing for crappie is this true?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got a great spot to fish. We have that problem sometimes where I fish. You just kinda play the waiting game and then enjoy all the 10 inch fish. Sounds like the hatch to make ten inch fish has almost made it. Those 9 inchers are the most agressive it seems at times. They'll keep on hitting like gang busters and then suddenly all that bait they have been consuming will convert to size. I like jigs in this situation. I'm addicted to the bump.

Post Thanks / Like

It means you are catching some fish and some folks ain't. If you was to keep some of those smaller fish I wouldn't tell nobody.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dmcgee
    I have been doing a lot of crappie fishing here in the last few weeks. And everytime I go I catch a ton of fish but they are mostly 9- 9.75" which is just shy of the 10" limit here in TX. I would say I haven't caught any big or even nice sized crappie. Whats the deal is it the spot or the bait or what? Say if I catch 100 about 20 make the 10" mark. Is this common? What can I change to improve the size?

I have always heard to use small to medium sized minnows when fishing for crappie is this true?
    When you get on these undersized fish, have you tried fishing deeper in the same spot or tied on a bigger jig? It doesn't always work, but if I'm catching a lot of smaller size fish, the first thing I do is start fishing a bit deeper. I'm not a big minnow fisher, but on our home lake I usually fish a 1/8 oz jig, maybe a 1/16, but never smaller. If you were to ask Cane Pole he'd tell ya to tie on a 1/4 oz, cause bigger jigs catch bigger fish! LOL
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!