Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me refresh my tackle supply

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me refresh my tackle supply

OK, I'm getting ready to go on a buying spree for crappie-specific tubes, shad-shaped plastics, and feathered or maribou hair jigs from various manufacturers. My list of possibilities is pretty big. The BPS ripple tail grubs I've been using aren't hooking any crappie. Lots of very nice 'gills but I'm getting serious about boating some crappie from my lake. I've even picked up my first slip bobber to use; I'm learning slowly that it works....on the bluegill, anyway.

Would you go with the assortments from the various suppliers or would you pick and choose a few colors to start out with if you hadn't used any of them before? I hope to use them this fall still but want to be ready to go in the spring as well. As I'm sure we all know, the choices are staggering in number. I'm a bit hesitant about assortments not being the best selling colors but perhaps that exactly what they are.

Some observations of how you would choose to get setup would be helpful, as though you were starting out again without all that good knowledge that you now possess!

Here's your chance to spend someone else's money! Thanks! Ken

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

crappielogic - #1 , black head - red wrap - chartruce #2 red head - black wrap - florecent yellow #3 orange head -black wrap - chartruce # 4 purple head - black wrap- purple/yellow mix . bobby garland baby shad . like them all but the patriot on a pink head is a must have . monkey milk on a red or black head and anything blue for clear water .

Post Thanks / Like

Just go to Home and order 2 of each and you will be set for a month or so. Honestly though get some Southern pro umbrella tubes and some hot grubs and some grizzly jigs and a bunch of leadheads and roadrunners and you will be set. CAn tweak from there and add as you see what locals are using.

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, I don't know anyone else that fishes for crappie around here....I'm the only local fanatic around here that I know of! I'm keeping an eye on Bee up in Maine to see what he's using since he's just whacking 'em up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Shops Squirmin Squirt 1.5 Red/Chart,1/32 oz. jighead,Bobby Garland Baby Shad Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of the guys right here on the board make and sell jigs and plastics. Check them out, you won't be disppointed.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Southern Pro Umbrella tubes in Purple/Chartruse to start. Some 1/8 oz leadheads to push inside the big tubes.
    Then pm Meatgetter and he has a huge catalog of hand tied jigs as good as I;ve seen anywhere.

If you don't think these are fish catching baits than you need to good to the Arkansas page or search these umbrella tubes and Meatgetter jigs on this forum.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken ... first thing I'd do is go with the basics. Find out what the Crappie, in your waters, feed on. Is it Gizzard Shad, Threadfin Shad, Silversides, Mosquitofish, Gobies, Sunfish fry, or some/all/none of these ?? Then pick a few baits that mimic these in color, size, & shape. That's a good starting point, and you can always add things along the way. You don't want to let your Bait Monkey get the better of you & your finances, and end up with tackle boxes full of baits that "may eventually" prove to be of value (or not ).

I'm also of the opinion that we have members that make baits as good, or better than the major brands. Check in the Jig Tying/Lure Making forum, and see what they're producing. You might also want to look on the "Member Sponsor" Classified Ads forum, and see what deals are being offered.

I've never been a fan of the "one size fits all" assortment packs. And while I'm well aware of the fact that a hungry/aggressive Crappie will eat the ugliest, most garish colored bait (if you get it in their face) ... that can be a fleeting moment, or a short period of time, in the overall time spent fishing. Generally, you're faced with the situation of having the fish be in a neutral mood, or be picky about what they're wanting ... when color & presentation methods are key factors in getting them to bite. In those instances, you'll want a variety to show them ... generally starting with the "match the hatch" ideology, and progressing to the "make'em mad enough to want to kill that intruder", and/or the "easy meal" presentations.

You'll also want to take into account "which" species of Crappie are present in you waters. Black Crappie & White Crappie have slightly different habits, food preferences, and habitat/condition preferences. Whatever foodsource is most likely to be in their preferred habitat, may dictate what color/size/shape & presentation you'll want to use.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Some of these might help.

to show just a few!
    NightProwler

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^ what he said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast