PDA

View Full Version : PFDs Chat

Cane Pole
08-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Ok. Brenda and I have SoSpenders that are now 5 years old. Her unit self deployed the other day. We cannot find an arming kit local. Before I order a kit, is there a life expectancy frame for safety for these auto pfds?

Anything new on the market? I can't set up for long durations in front of this screen and do a lot of net wading.( I call it wading cause you have to wade thru a lot of BS on the net. No surfing to it anymore.) Don't make me laugh cus I still gots stitches in my belly.

crappiemax
08-23-2012, 01:09 PM
I don't know much about PDF's but I'm glad to see you posting. I do enjoy your wit & wisdom and reading your posts.
I hope your recovery goes quick.
cmax

RCC
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
3 years on the mustangs. Just rearmed the older a few weeks ago.

Billbob
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
frame should be good for a lot of years just look for rips and tears

Cane Pole
08-23-2012, 03:40 PM
3 years on the mustangs. Just rearmed the older a few weeks ago.

3 years on the arming kit or 3 years on the bladder?

Billbob
08-23-2012, 07:48 PM
get new 1s and i will take the old 1s off your hands :biggrin

RCC
08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
3 years on the arming. Don't know about the bladder.

Just did a quick search and this is what I found, but you know how reliable internet info is.

"The general thinking is that inflatables should be tested every three years. A visual inspection should be done every year. There is no projected lifespan on these because people have yet to get to that. If your PVC is worn or exposed to lots of UV, then the inflatable inner might be regarded as reaching it’s lifespan."

Billbob
08-23-2012, 08:21 PM
RCC now HUSH i am trying to get a couple of PFD and i wont charge much to hall them away

Cane Pole
08-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't know much about PDF's but I'm glad to see you posting. I do enjoy your wit & wisdom and reading your posts.
I hope your recovery goes quick.
cmax

Thanks for the kind words. I am doing pretty good for a man that has skipped rope into his 7th decade. However, be mindful that amongst us are those that would probably wish I were in Granny's wheel chair "as seen on TV". ha

Cane Pole
08-23-2012, 09:24 PM
RCC now HUSH i am trying to get a couple of PFD and i wont charge much to hall them away

You would loose them before you got home.

Cray
08-23-2012, 09:55 PM
CP we had those basic inflatables on the ships and were tested once a year and rearmed every 2 or 3 years. Never had much problems with them. Know the material today has to be better than those. I would just get arming kits and replace. Use old one to check yours and just look em over real good for wear. Worst thing for them would be laying in the sun all the time.

rocket rich
08-30-2012, 12:51 PM
What happens in the winter. How do you size the pfd?? With the heavy coats etc ???

wannabe fisherman
08-30-2012, 01:55 PM
What happens in the winter. How do you size the pfd?? With the heavy coats etc ???

You would have to try one on with your heavy coat on. NEVER wear one under anything it could go off and cause serious body harm!!!

Cray
08-30-2012, 07:52 PM

I may get blasted here but I am dead against wearing an inflatable in winter. First I don't know if they make one really big enough to fit properly over a heavy coat and thick shirts. Second when it is that cold out a auto matic may inflate but can you maneuver enough to help your self with all that gear on under your PFD. I always put on a regular PFD in winter under sweat shirts,vests, and coats. That way hopefully if I do go in I can get a coat off where I can manuver to help myself and I don't have to worry about inflating it or hoping it will go off. Plus it helps hold heat at your core where you need it most.