Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help choosing rod

I'm looking to get a new rod. I want something with backbone for fishing 1/4oz jigs. I have the BBUL with rear reel seat 10ft. and love it but I think I need a stiffer rod for the heavy jigs. I would like to stay with the rear reel seat but I could go with a foward reel seat. Of the foward reel seats I'm thinking Russ Bailey 10'6" or Outlaw10'. Rear reel seats maybe Ozark, BnM Custom Crappie, or Grizzly Elite Brush Rod. All in 10' . I know I need to just go to Grizzly and put my hands on them but It's hard to get time to go. Only rods out of list above that I've had my hands on are the Outlaw and Custom Crappie. I liked both but I still prefer the rear seat rods. Feel free to give your opinions of the rods mentioned and rods not mentioned that would soot my needs. This rod would be used for dipping trees and buck bushes also.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out st croix's.....have a few and couldn't be happier with them.....i know they make a panfish series in longer lengths, but honestly never had my hands on one yet.....for what its worth the premier, eyecon, and avid series is all I have exp with though.......

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Ozark rods they have rear real seat that is stiffer than the bucks i have both love them the ozark handles the bigger jigs better and its not that much heavier than the bucks
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me

Post Thanks / Like

Remember...if you like to hold a rod balanced, like I do, you will need to get another rear seat or get a longer rod to keep it balanced...more length is more weight. The rod you hold in the store is completely different after you put the reel and tackle on.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be buying a new reel too so whatever rod I choose I can get a reel to balance it out.

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

the custom comes with cork handle and rear reel seat .have been my favorite for several yrs . never fished any thing larger than a 1/8 oz. though .

Post Thanks / Like

the ozark is top of the line !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

I got a b&m camo brushcutter to fish heavier jigs. Super sensitive tip and all the backbone you could ever need. I have a 10'6" Russ bailey and it's more whippy than the brushcutter but it's a good all around crappie pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity-- where do you use 1/4 oz jigs?
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Windy days or deep water. Most guys I fish with just add a split shot to the jig but I rather increase my jig size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast