Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Outboard motor anygood?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Outboard motor anygood?

I have this posted also on the North Carolina carppie forum....I hope that is OK

I have a question on the 5 HP Briggs & Stratton Outboard motor. How are these for the money? I have a old (1945 year) 16FT shallow V hull aluminum boat. I have tried to find a reliable used outboard 8HP to 15HP and I have been unsuccessful. This boat will be used by my wife and me to occasionally fish. I really to not want to spend $1,800+ for a motor that will be used probably no more than 12 days out of a year. We are only interested in fishing locally at a medium+size (Crappie fishing) Lake. For the money, Is this a good value or should I keep looking for a used motor. We only care only about freshwater fishing. Will the 5 HP Briggs & Stratton be enough power for my wife and me to fish with?

Post Thanks / Like

From what I have heard about these motors the only knock against them is they are loud. I've been told it sounds like a lawn mower. So if you don't mind the noise then I guess this motor would work for you. I've never used the motor but I was looking into them and when I found out about how loud they were I decided against it.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say enough about my 5hp B&S. This little engine will push me (215 lbs) and all my gear at 13 mph (per my GPS). It will easily get your V-bottom on plain, and definitely be a little faster than my flat bottom. However, with two big guys and gear it will not plane my FB. It pushes it good though.

I accidentally ran up on a mud flat the other day while fishing, and since it is air cooled, (no water pump to get clogged) I gave it full throttle, and it pulled out of the flat like it was a mini mud motor. Any other water cooled engine in this situation would have been stuck. It's very popular with me now, and I can't wait for duck hunting this winter.

Before my purchase, I too was worried about the noise. The noise is very minimal, and doesn't bother me at all. Most of the "noise" is caused from the engine vibration, not the exhaust. After all, it is a one cylinder engine. My motor at idle, is so quiet you can barely tell it's running. At full throttle, it is comparable to many outboards you've probably heard. Also, It's not fair to compare the noise to a lawn mower, considering your lawn mower is probably turning 5000+ RPM, this outboard is only turning 3600.

Bottom line..........

I love mine, and would purchase again. Full throttle noise is comparable to any other small motor. No I don't work for Briggs and Stratton
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option would be a MinnKota 565 trolling motor and battery. This will take you around for fishing also, without the large prices.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm getting one

Post Thanks / Like

Well since you are only going to use it 12 days out of the year go ahead and get it and I will share it with you. I want the camo model so get that one.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Waylonh, I have been happy in a small city lake with a 30lb trust trolling motor for my wife and me but the fishing has been poor. They do not allow gas motors in this small lake .We wanted to try a little larger lake that allows outboard gas motors. This new lake does allow gas motors and does not get much lake traafic. No jet ski's mostly a medium + fishing lake.My weight is 250 lbs and my wife's weight is 150 lbs. We were pleased with how the boat did with a trolling motor in waters were there was no lake traffic. What you seem to be telling me is this motor would serve me well for fishing with my wife. Thanks again to you and others for the help. One day when I do get a chance to retire .......I will be using this boat more than a dozen times a year

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine!!!! I was very suprised at how much power that little motor has. I have been using mine almost every weekend for the last year or so and it hasn't given me a single problem. I've followed the recommended maintence plan, like changing the oil and the oil in the lower unit. Its great on gas too!!

The only thing I don't like is that it is not recommended for use in salt or brackish water. Its only rated for fresh water. However I have used it fresh and salt water and I have had no problems. I just rinse the motor off when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for ALL the great reply's,,,,,,,,,I went ahead and order one from iboats.com. They are on backorder and they said I would have mine in a couple of weeks. $699 Free Shipping ,No Tax.........:D

http://www.boatmotors.com/outboard/briggs_stratton/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast