Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My way overdue night fishing trip.....

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb My way overdue night fishing trip.....

Well first off thanks to everybody that helped with advice from my earlier post. I had everything i need and of course I didn't use half the stuff I had with me but I was prepared. I got there about 1 1/2 hours before dark Friday night. Posted up at a spot where I found fish and bait on my last trip. They wouldn't touch a jig . There was plenty of bait around. The minnows showed up first on top under the lanterns then the shad start circling Bob's reel lights.I had a great time and I think I learned some things and next time i'll do some things different. Everything went well just couldn't get those fish to bite. I did managed 3 fish but I had to work hard for those.Well I least finally got that night fishing monkey off my back. Here are a few pics from that night. Enjoy and Thanks.
    Posted up near a point (see photo)that intersects a creek channel in 30 f.o.w.Name:  night fishing pics before dark.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  63.3 KB
    Waiting... Name:  lights on.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  23.4 KB
    The minnow show up quickly Name:  minnow show up.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  19.0 KB
    Bobs reel lites doing what they do!Name:  bob's green lites.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  16.3 KB
    Here is the results for that night....Name:  night fish.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  21.3 KB
    Last edited by big minnow; 08-19-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Luvfatslabs is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Three are better than none
    Good luck and good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Went out friday night and fought off about ten million mayflies. Glad they were'nt skeeters. Had a total of two minnows that were hanging near the light. Got the big egg fish wise in a spot that is great in the mornings and evenings and spotty throughout the day. Ya done good!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like one is a good slab at least.
    New goal 16" crappie by December 30

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah. Bob's Reel-Lites are awesome! I use them when bank fishing at early morning time.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luvfatslabs View Post
    Three are better than none
    How true... Hey, I had great time enjoyed it and learned from it. But to be honest I would rather be looking at 20 crappie fillets instead of 6 tonight at dinner time..

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    Went out friday night and fought off about ten million mayflies. Glad they were'nt skeeters. Had a total of two minnows that were hanging near the light. Got the big egg fish wise in a spot that is great in the mornings and evenings and spotty throughout the day. Ya done good!
    that happen to me to that night. When i first lit the lanterns a cloud of gnats came out of nowhere but a steady breeze came up and kept them off me all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W View Post
    Looks like one is a good slab at least.
    yea that was the first fish caught. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    yeah. Bob's Reel-Lites are awesome! I use them when bank fishing at early morning time.
    Great product! you should have seen the shad. It was like watching the nature channel and when i turned out the lanterns they got thicker and bunced up.I have some video of it I have been trying to load.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't understand the need for those 2 propane lites that's what drawing mayflies,skeeters etc. The 2 bob's reel lites should be more than enough to draw the minnows and then the fish.If no fish show up after the minnows in 30 minutes its time to move. I just bought a 510 size lite from bob can't wait to use it hoping its going to be bright enough. WHAT SIZE ARE ARE OF YOU USING???
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the propane lights are just going to call in the bugs big time plus they mess with your night vision. We use head lamps to tie knots and watch lines, etc. They can be turned on and off depending on the bug situation. You got lucky with that wind. On still nights it can be brutal and I live in the desert where the bugs are at a minimum!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey jax, All I know is the lanterns are old school all the old timers used them around here way back when I was in my teens. Years later we used them off the bank with great success. Then the floating head lights showed up & lighted bobbers. But they never stopped using those lanterns. I remember when folks(fishing buddy's) would call me about the new brighter gasoline powered lanterns. And now its the super bright submersible lights thing. Those minnows luv gnats and was feeding on the surface. Crappie showing is my only concern for me mayflies,skeeters, gnats and is a small price to pay for a limit of slabs I would do it in a minute and have done many times fishing off the bank at sun down even without any lights using thick pants a huddie and bug spray. Also as you can see it's like day light on the boat with them on when needed. Like my 82 year old mom would say " It's better to have em and not need it than to need it and not have em." Oh an my light is the four element Reel-lite green. Every time I use it tons of bait show up!
    I'm now 54 bottom line i guess i'm just a old school.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi big minnow nothing wrong with being old school, used the white gas lanterns &still have 3 in garage but when one caught fire in boat and started burning carpet that was it for me. I was just saying those lantern lites attract a ton of skeeters that's all.
    I do not like skeeters and do all possible to avoid them, a co-worker died of that virus.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast