Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim Gauge question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trim Gauge question

First of all I would like to let everyone know that I now have my new boat. I've been waiting ever since I was a kid for it. Now my wife tells me I'm a kid again, cause I got the toy I always wanted. I am new to operating a boat. I have never done it before and need a little help. I have been reading all my manuals so I can be familiar with the boat and motor. My question is about the trim gauge. Does this tell you how you should trim your motor up or down? It has a picture in the middle of the boat on plane, then up on the right and down on the left. If the hand is pointing up, does that mean you need to trim down, and if the hand is down does that mean you need to trim up? Should you try to keep the hand in the center where it shows the boat on plane, or should you keep it just a little up? Thanks for the help.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Congradulations CS, I'm 62 years old and have had a lot of boats, but never a new one. Maybe some day if I live long enough. As for your trim gauge, it is a reference. When you take off from dead stop. trim the motor all the way down to get you on plane quicker. Note where the gauge is pointing and you won't have to look at the motor every time. Once you get going and on plane, start trimming the motor up a little at a time. You will feel the steering getting easier and if you go too far it will start porpoising, again note the setting. Once you get out and play with it, you will learn where to trim the motor for any given speed. I hope I made sense.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying the motor should be trimmed up at take off from a dead stop and then trimmed down to plane off and then trimmed back up a little at a time? Another question, it says not to fill the gas tank over 90% full to allow for expansion, but how do you know how much you have in when your gauge will only work in the run position?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No, it should be trimmed down at take off and then up after you are on plane. I've got a metal tank and never paid any attention to expansion. You should be able to just turn the key on without starting to motor to check the gas.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to check it that way and it wouldnt work and when I read the manual, it said it had to be in the run position. Thanks for the information on planing.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

So put the motor in gear and turn the key on. The motor wont start but the guages should register everything. Does on my boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks chaunc

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder why they designed it that way?

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie seeker

The way you trim your motor will also be affected by the load you are carrying in the boat, and also how the weight is distributed. As others stated, the motor should be trimmed in at take off, ( tucked in tight to the transom). Once up on plane you will be able to trim the motor out, you will notice the the motor will have less of a load on it and the side spray will be reduced. The trim gauge is just a little doodad and I rarely look at mine. Once you get to know your boat, you'll know that sweet spot where you are getting the best performance from your motor and hull attitude.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Congradulations

What did you get (specifics)? Remember, trim down, point toward open water. Goose it (after the wake zone), then trim it. Don't forget, it ain't got no brakes!! lol. Shellback is right. It will be a natural feel, no gauges needed.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast