Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontoons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontoons

Hey all, I'm new here.

I'll get to my question after a brief explanation of why I'm here and where I am.

I grew up fishing the Tombigbee with my old man as a child and he was a crappie man to the bone. I don't recall ever fishing for anything other than crappie with my dad, seems that's all he ever fished for. I'm on here because I want to get back into crappie fishing with my son but I was so young when my dad passed away(he had his boat in tow on his way to Aberdeen that day) that I didn't retain very much of the knowledge he was passing on to me....oh how I wish I could remember some of those things. So I hope to gain some of that knowledge from you folks on here, as much as I can atleast, and go show my son just how much fun crappie fishing can be. So I'm going back through the forums and reading old post on here, taking some of you old timers' ideas and learning that way...So I want to say thank you, thank you for posting on here so some dummy like me can pick your brains.

Couple of questions. I know it's not ideal but how successful can I be in a pontoon? I've got a suntracker fishin barge and I've done fairly well in it so far but I haven't had it long and haven't tried to get into any slough's yet.

I want to try the spider rig. Can that be done in a pontoon? only problem I see is the pole tips wouldn't be as close to the water as what you'd ideally want from what I've read about it

Thanks for any help folks

Post Thanks / Like

First Welcome from Florida. And yes a toon is a very doable and by some preferred for spiderrigging and trolling. Take a look at the show off your boats thread on the main page as well as in Georgia. Many are using them. Not sure where you are in Alabama but there is going to be a HUGE slabfest at Talquin in November if you can swing it. Details on both Georgia board and Florida board. And with the adjustable rod holders available today you will have no problem setting your rod tips wherever you want em.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A very warm welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your dad but it's great that you want to get it going with your son. I can't help you with the toon question but to me it looks like the ideal boat to spyder rig from and the whole family can participate. Good luck.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and hope it all works out for you like you want.
    Pontoons are the best for tying up and fishing off of. Lots of room as long as its not full of furniture! I has one and the one I decided on was smaller than most at 18', but I wanted the ability maneuver around it the stp fields here on this lake! However I like to longline troll and found trying to troll even in wind that was not that bad, it was really hard on a toon as the wind catches it way too much IMHO!
    I went from a Bass body I loved (20' Skeeter with 200HP) to the toon and it lasted only one year for me. If it was my 2nd boat and I still have what I have now, this would be perfect. However I don't or didn't want 2 boats. So I bought a G3 17'6" nice boat, but for my wife too narrow stability wise so then I sold OT and finally got smart and really looked hard and studied a lot of boats. I ended up with a Crappie Edition 17' Lund with a 115 4 stroke and now have one of the neat designed boats that can be bought! I absolutely love this boat as does my wife!

Just my 2 cents and thoughts!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, you are at the right place. If you are in ms check out our state forum
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

As a kid in the sixth grade I lived in Demopolis Al and played on the banks of the Tombigbee = Lots of good memories from that time in my life ............
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

I was at work earlier so made it short. If you have a toon already, add about 30 or 40 rod holders around it and have a ball. Wind might catch ya more than a small boat but it blows mine around as well. Just don't skimp on trolling motor and you should be fine. Besides them younguns have more room to roam and nice sides to keep em in the boat, and lounges for mama to tag along and sunbathe. Go fishing have a ball and sport some pics on here.

Post Thanks / Like

could not have been said better
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    I was at work earlier so made it short. If you have a toon already, add about 30 or 40 rod holders around it and have a ball. Wind might catch ya more than a small boat but it blows mine around as well. Just don't skimp on trolling motor and you should be fine. Besides them younguns have more room to roam and nice sides to keep em in the boat, and lounges for mama to tag along and sunbathe. Go fishing have a ball and sport some pics on here.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum, your in the right place to learn a lot. Enjoy.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome.

I know a Crappie guide who uses a pontoon when guiding. I taught my sons to fish from a pontoon. Its safer, rails and all. Plus has more room for those flying rod tips and lures. If they get tired, they can lay down, eat a meal, play a game, etc.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast