Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck Lake NY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Duck Lake NY

Hey all, this is my first post. I am a newbie. I was doing a search on google about duck lake ny, and found an old thread from 2007 on here. So I signed up right away! I am a member on myfishfinder forums too. This seems like an awesome site. Anyways enough with the rambling. I took out my fishing kayak to duck lake. Its really a nice little lake. Crystal clear. I hear there are a ton of crappies in here. However I did not catch a single one! I did however catch a bunch of largemouth and bluegills. All in all, it was a very nice first trip out there. Have any of you fellow new yorkers fished this little lake? After all it is where the state record came from

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=chiefcatchemall;2004189]Hey all, this is my first post. I am a newbie. I was doing a search on google about duck lake ny, and found an old thread from 2007 on here. So I signed up right away! I am a member on myfishfinder forums too. This seems like an awesome site. Anyways enough with the rambling. I took out my fishing kayak to duck lake. Its really a nice little lake. Crystal clear. I hear there are a ton of crappies in here. However I did not catch a single one! I did however catch a bunch of largemouth and bluegills. All in all, it was a very nice first trip out there. Have any of you fellow new yorkers fished this little lake? After all it is where the state record came from. [QUOTE]

hey chief, i talked to you before on iceshanty and myfishfinder. i live in wolcott and have fished duck lake. i fished it couple yrs ago with a local in the spring somenice crappie but have to time it right. as you said lots of bass and gils.
    i put my small boat in there before but was after the crappie bite. i believe the center of the lake has the deepest area maybe that's whrere the summer crappie hang out.
    icejohn
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Yupp nice to see a fellow MFF member on here!! I am thinking about taking my girlfriend out there in the morning again with the kayaks. Hopefully Ill find some

Post Thanks / Like

About time you got here Chief. Cant say iv'e been there but welcome here. You'll get some tips on here for sure. I don't know about you but i'm already thinking about Ice Fishing... If you ever head north towards A-bay area, give me a shout and we'll do some crappie fishing at the lake where my camp is at.

Post Thanks / Like

Yupp I remember you eddie! If my memory serves me as remembered your camp is on Hyde Lake. Me and my girlfriend went to Duck Lake again today and had some fun with some panfish and bass! No craps again, but still a wonderful time!! Cant wait for the ice!!! Thats what I live for. My single most favorite thing to do!!! Tight lines all.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I fished duck lake in the spring a few years ago, we caught alot of crappie but none were over 9"

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=chiefcatchemall;2005926]Yupp I remember you eddie! If my memory serves me as remembered your camp is on Hyde Lake. Me and my girlfriend went to Duck Lake again today and had some fun with some panfish and bass! No craps again, but still a wonderful time!! Cant wait for the ice!!! Thats what I live for. My single most favorite thing to do!!! Tight lines all. [quote]

did yo try pulling some jigs in the middle of the lake, i believe deeper part? i might take my small boat and check it out too. before the fall perch bite on our bays. been catchin perch out in the lake and lots of crappie in port bay but mostlu under size wit occasional keppers over 9" ers
    icejohn
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt really get to fish the deep part like I wanted to. I had to keep my woman busy catching gills. If shes not catching she gets bored

Post Thanks / Like

State record came out of that lake chief. There are some nice ones in there but finding them is hard. No structure per say. But they do roam around.

Post Thanks / Like

A nice little help I found is the collection, by county, of lake contour maps on the DEC website. They're accurate enough to at least get you near the depth you are looking to fish, and Duck Lake is one of the ones they have under Cayuga County. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9920.html

I've fished there in the spring and there is a lot of submerged wood in shallow water at the North end - worth a good look in the spring. Summer gets to be a problem for launching a boat (the ramp is too shallow). If I had to make a guess how to attack it in the summer, I'd say slowly pulling jigs around the deeper spots (a couple decent holes), starting shallow and working deeper until I find where they are holding. Personally, the few times I've fished it, I've had largemouths practically fighting each other to get my jigs, with a few small crappie and some gills sprinkled in here and there. Not too far from there is a DEC launch on the Seneca River at Mosquito point. Lots of good fishing up and down that stretch of river and some of the back channels around the islands. That launch is on Route 38, north of Port Byron - concrete ramp, and depending on how early in the spring, you may, or may not have a dock to tie to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast