Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Small baits

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Small baits

I've noticed in the hot weather, I've been catching a lot more bigger fish on smaller baits. That goes against everything I've always thought. I figured the shad a big right now so the crappie would be feeding on larger bait fish. Do you think they prefer the younger, smaller bait fish that have hatched this spring and summer? Maybe the hot weather has affected their appetite?

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Great question Speck. Always been my belief that there were multiple hatches of shad fry, know i've seen some smallish ones just recently so maybe they have a choice. Talked to one of the more well known names in CM events and his opinion, assuming he told me the truth , is that when the fish are in a more neutral feeding mode they might opt for a small bait quicker than a large one. He related it to people when they have eaten recently or aren't hungry but might take a snack if offered. Assuming that is true, I'm taking Twinkies with me next trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speck View Post
    I've noticed in the hot weather, I've been catching a lot more bigger fish on smaller baits. That goes against everything I've always thought. I figured the shad a big right now so the crappie would be feeding on larger bait fish. Do you think they prefer the younger, smaller bait fish that have hatched this spring and summer? Maybe the hot weather has affected their appetite?
    A lot of times this gets down to prey availability. During the warmer months, shad larvae are quickly growing and most fish will switch over to this very abundant prey (in lakes with shad). Once the shad get to 3-4", as in Smithville Lake currently, the larger crappie begin to more readily eat this available prey. If a large shad swims in front of the crappie and it is hungry, of course the crappie is going to eat it. However, this time of year, the 3-4" shad overwhelm all other sizes of shad in numbers, so when large crappie are feeding, the 3-4" fish are everywhere around them and easier to capture than the 5"+ shad hidden among the schools of smaller shad. Large crappie, like small crappie, follow the shad, bluegill, or other plentiful year class of young fish as long as they can once they are big enough to fill there stomachs. If there is a large hatch of some invertebrate such as mayflies, the fish will definately cue into an event like that as well and eat smaller than normal prey due to the numbers available.

Like kazual said above, if it is easy to catch and right in front of you when you are hungry, it takes a whole lot less energy to eat than it would to swim around looking for something bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

great answer me my loz bud uses 1 7/8 tubes year round may go to a 2 in twister if we are pitchin points prolly catches more crappie than most

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Matt. More than likely it's in response to a big mayfly hatch. I like to check the cobwebs in the rafters of the marinas before I go out to see if the mayfly hatch has been going on. You'll see lots of them in the cobwebs if they are. Clearer water this year due to lack of rain could also make the fish less wary of a smaller bait. Kind of like when you go fishing in a real clear lake, see Tbale Rock, and you downsize to compensate for the clear water.

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense!!! Thank You

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff