Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I got my revenge...and my hook back.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I got my revenge...and my hook back.

Couple of weeks ago, i posted an upsetting day of losing a rather large catfish, because of a stupid mistake to pull the catfish out of the water by pulling the line, instead of lying flat on the ground to pick him up from the gills or mouth. The line broke and he got away.

Well, tonight, after i worked out at the gym, i bought a pack of hot dogs and went to Halleck Pond and began fishing for catfish. After the sun set, the bite really took off, but i was having no luck of being able to set the hook. They kept making off with the bait. I tried several different techniques, from jerking the rod tip up to set the hook, reeling it in when they pull out the slack, letting them set the hook themselves. Finally after 3 and 1/2 hot dogs, i got a gradually bite that slowly took the line, i waited until the slack was out and flicked my wrist to make sure i got it. He fought back hard, it was a good 5 min before i tired him out and went i got him close to the shore, i couldn't believe my eyes. I saw the same circle hook and same neon green 20lb test line in the exact same spot. He didn't seem to pack on any more weight than last time, but boy was i glad i nabbed the big one that got away the first time. He was a little over 24" long, i didn't have a scale so i don't know how much he weighed.

Post Thanks / Like

That will teach him to steal from you, huh! . Good job Chris. That one was a little bigger than the one I caught from there the other day! EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

fileted him last night, with a beer and some fries. I couldn't finish it all. I saved the rest of it today for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, you got have some funny looking crappie in Neb Good job Chris. Have you tried weightless on those finicky cats, sometimes that's the trick.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Actually i had the weight on there originally and i couldn't tell when they took the bait. After a few min i would reel it in and the bait would be gone. I went weightless and i could tell when they hit it, but i just couldn't time my wrist twitch to set the hook in its mouth.