Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on rod repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on rod repair

I didn't know where to post this so I thought I'd try here. I have a B&M PST 12-2 (12 ft 2 piece rod). The outer layer of fiberglass on the butt section at the end where the two sections join has split and seperated from the lower layer. The two pieces still join together well but I was wondering how I should go about repairing it before any further damage occurs. I don't know if a type of glue would work or what. I would like to be able to still seperate the rods for transport.

Thanks,

Mike
    Thanks dad for teaching me to love crappie fishing!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Call BnM .... ask for Jack Wells (accept no one else). Tell Jack you're a member here, and what your problem/situation is with the rod. He may send you a free replacement section (he's been known to do that !! ), or he may offer you a replacement section for whatever the current price is (which is what you would likely be offered by any other BnM sales rep). Jack is the owner, and he is a generous man ... I'm thinking you're likely to get the free replacement. Jack is a member of Crappie.com, and a solid supporter of Crappie fishing.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

if all else fells drill a small hole at the bottom of the split to stop it from growing put the pieces together and rap with fiber glass tried then super glue take a part let set a min or 2 then mix up some clear epoxy and cover the tried with it hang let dry works great good luck
    team member

of the 2011 winners of the c.d.c. lake hartwell fall fest

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Pappy said try B&M first. Second take a piece of fine sand paper, rough up surface, coat tip section with lite coat of vasoline where it goes into but section. Clean out side of but section with cotton ball and alcohol. Let dry mix up small batch of JB weld epoxy put a thin coat all the way around and down past where it is loose about a 1/2 in. Take electrical tape starting below the epoxy wrap repair tight as you can and let cure fo couple of days. Vasoline is so epoxy won't stick to tip section.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I've battled the same problem in reverse - it was the 'female' section on the tip half that gave me grief. If you can get the replacement piece it will certainly be easier, but there's not necessarily a need to junk an otherwise good butt section.

Nothing bonds to fiberglass and bends like fiberglass and expands/contracts at the same rate as fiberglass - like fiberglass. If you're handy and careful, you can inject a bit of liquid fiberglass mix (just like what you find in the automative section at the store) into the separation, bind it down tightly with something that will release, like teflon tape, and after it hardens, sand it gently until it fits again. If it doesn't look like you can thoroughly fill the existing gap between layers, however, then you'd be better removing all the loose material, getting a little bit of fiberglass repair tape, and rebuilding the area. It'll certainly involve more sanding to get it just right, but it does work. Mine was a graphite/fiberglass blend, but it's still about the best match you'll make without access to the original construction material.

There will be a slight defect in strength where you cut out the old and added in the new, but you're not likely to ever notice the difference unless it happens to be right where the female/tip seciton ends when you put them together. In that case, you've got a weak spot right where there is likely to be the most stress while the rod flexes. It might still hold - It might not in that case.

At any rate, mine's held up for 20+ years and been through a couple new sets of guides with no sign of trouble. Yet. Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Being the male section, if the end is plug up then unplug with drill and clean out, then push cotton in the end a little ways, then pour some 2 part glue in hole and put a piece of old rod that you cut to fit inside, this will strengthen it.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8