Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall long linning question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall long linning question?

My home lake is in an early draw down, (we have a winter draw down) it usally starts right after labor day but it is already down 3+ feet and dropping fast...it is a corp. lake and don't allow day tournaments in the summer...parking issues...so the green fish guys have loaded the lake with lots of brush ( the night tourny guys put)...which will be in prime shape in a few weeks. I'm usually on the jig making fourm because that is my passion as well as fishing...ok here is the question...I usually pull 1/16 jigs..12 rods and control speed via GPS 7.2-7.5 mph...and kill the motor as I get closer to the brush that is in 14+ft. and drift over then back on the motor and pull fish out of the brush...as I'm sure most of you do too. I've been pouring a popeye jig and tying that weights about 1/44..to 1/50 I want to pull the 1/16th and the tiny lighter jig above...do you guys use a loop knot or a swivel to connect main line to lighter jig? Is the upper leader to the smaller jig longer or shorter? I just thought it would be interesting to see if the fish will eat the smaller fly above the heaver jig? Any thoughts or rigs that work for you would be helpful thanks LB PS I have a buddy who has monitored the lake levels since early 80's and years of notes when the lake hits the majic level I thnk is 830 something he says its time to fish!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liftbite56 View Post
    My home lake is in an early draw down, (we have a winter draw down) it usually starts right after labor day but it is already down 3+ feet and dropping fast...it is a corp. lake and don't allow day tournaments in the summer...parking issues...so the green fish guys have loaded the lake with lots of brush ( the night tourney guys put)...which will be in prime shape in a few weeks. I'm usually on the jig making forum because that is my passion as well as fishing...ok here is the question...I usually pull 1/16 jigs..12 rods and control speed via GPS 7.2-7.5 mph...and kill the motor as I get closer to the brush that is in 14+ft. and drift over then back on the motor and pull fish out of the brush...as I'm sure most of you do too. I've been pouring a popeye jig and tying that weights about 1/44..to 1/50 I want to pull the 1/16th and the tiny lighter jig above...do you guys use a loop knot or a swivel to connect main line to lighter jig? Is the upper leader to the smaller jig longer or shorter? I just thought it would be interesting to see if the fish will eat the smaller fly above the heaver jig? Any thoughts or rigs that work for you would be helpful thanks LB PS I have a buddy who has monitored the lake levels since early 80's and years of notes when the lake hits the majic level I thnk is 830 something he says its time to fish!!!
    I am guessing you miss typed the mph. A draw down usually produces fish that are reluctant to bite until the water level stabilizes. We will see a draw down at Blackshear this year. During draw down years, I will usually wait until the levels stabilize. After that, I will long line troll the channel edges or the channel middles looking for suspended fish. Once a depth is determined that "most" of the fish are holding, I try to run the baits 1-2' above them and try to keep speed less than 1 mph. Color will play into it more than other times of the year because the fish are really finicky because of such a drastic water change. This is my observation and not the rule. The rule is: CHANGE UNTIL BIT WITH QUALITY AND THEN REPEAT. That is the only rule in crappie fishing. And yes, you can quote that statement anytime you want to.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

I use a loop knot and yes the lighter jig will get more bites as it flutters behind the heavier jig. I seem to do best with an 1/8 foolowed by a 1/48 or 1/32. Your speeds seem off I assume you meant 1.2.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I meant .72-.75 not a mile an hour that puts my 1/16oz jigs at 12' deep