Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: in case ya didnt know...

Post Thanks / Like

Default in case ya didnt know...

Bald face hornet stings really hurt! While weedeating today I stirred up a colony, first was just above the left ear...I realized i was being swarmed. I took off running across the yard, got about 75 yds from them and my shoulders got ahead of my feet...took a tumble and BAM one in the right arm. Took off again in full stride AHHH another on the back of the left thigh. Was about 300 yards from them before they stopped chasing me.

Filled with toxic Black and white Hornet venom I was bitter....ready for revenge. I waited til late this afternoon and took a can of spray to them...must have knocked down a dozen or two before they over powered me.... I GROSSLY UNDER ESTIMATED THEM!!! There was hundreds flying around. Luckily I made it back to the truck unscaithed. Im gonna have to give them a day or two and catch them off guard with the 5 horse 45 gallon skid sprayer Hahah thats sure to purge the population.
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rut Ro!! Sounds like a war out west. Did you know a flame thrower is good for 30-40 yards? I think you would be justified in using one.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Bennett, I know what You were going through. Bought ten years ago, We had a bush hog that got some metal pushed into the blade and it was slamming every time the blade came by. We welded a piece of chain onto the bent sheet metal and Dad told me to pick a tree to hook to. I picked a stout cedar along a ditch bank. He backed up to the tree, I wrapped the chain around the base, and he started pulling the sheet metal away. The tree jarred a couple times as he was bumping along as to not go too far. I was bent over getting ready to unhook from the tree when I noticed out the corner of my eye what I thought was a horse fly on my arm. I found out quick it was a ball faced hornet.

About the time I realized what it was after he was able to drill a 1/4 inch hole in my arm, I heard dad scream RUN! Well Momma didn't raise no fool and I never took time to look and made Forrest Gump proud. As I was running, I felt one barely able to tag my back as my shirt was flapping in the wind. I ran across the shop yard from one end to the other (6 acres) and stopped and 3 zoomed by my head so I went back to running. Finally they stopped.

I had red streaks on my arm where the first hornet tried to find china in my arm (still have the scar from that one) and dumped a bunch of poison. When Dad yelled scream, he dumped the clutch on the tractor and just ripped a whole hunk of metal off of the bush hog and drug it on across the yard. He got away unscathed. He came over to check on me by the water spigot as I was running water over my wound trying to make the pain ease off some. He said he looked back at the tree when we were bumping it and He said My whole head disappeared into a black cloud of hornets. I was lucky I did not get eat up by them. I can't imagine what the pain would have been like with 20 or 30 stings from them things.

I put a chaw of tobacco on the wound and killed the pain and then it hit me. I saw red. I went back to the tree and found the paper nest which was bigger than a basketball. I went and got a double barrel 12 gauge with about 3 boxes of shells and commenced to blowing that nest straight to he77. After the first box, there was nothing left of the nest. The hornets would swarm and then settle down into a ball on the limb where the nest was. I would then shoot the wad of hornets. I kept doing this until the limb fell off the tree where I had shot it so many times. There were only about 4 hornets left on the stump of the limb and then I blew them away. I felt much better after that.

A couple days later I was riding down a farm path and found another nest on the path. I went back home and got the 12 gauge and took care of that one. I know a chemical could have done the job more efficiently but I was furious. Something had to die by force. They did not stand a chance.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was ground bees. Last year two days after moving in the new house I was tired of unpacking, went outside and decided to clean up the flower beds a little, pull up a dead azeala bush and bang they got about 10 times on each arm. I retreat, go to the store and get two cans of spray, suit up in Carharts, hooded sweat shirt, ski mask, goggles and welding gloves. I turned the corner of the house in full attack mode spray can in one hand and fire axe in the other and there stands the elderly lady next door, first time we met! "Hi, I'm Bill you might want to go back inside" she was gone. I killed em all. She came over a while later and brought me a loaf of fresh baked banana bread said the bees had bee getting her all summer and she didn't know where they were or how to get rid of them

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Bill, figure out some way to cremate the devils, no sense in toying with them!
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    Rut Ro!! Sounds like a war out west. Did you know a flame thrower is good for 30-40 yards? I think you would be justified in using one.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    That'll work
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Percidae_Papermouth View Post
    took a can of spray to them
    You almost had it!! All you needed to add was-

Post Thanks / Like