Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: line choices

Post Thanks / Like

Default line choices

Hey yall, what kinda line do yall use for spider rigs? I have been using 6lb high visability. Is there a choice for much stronger line with the same diameter. I have only used mono since the other stuff like braid and florocarbon are pricey. My concern with braid is that it looks like string and I'm afraid it will be easy for the fish to see. The floro I've heard is invisible but is it stronger than mono or about the same. The price is high so something must be better. Anyway fill me in on your thoughts on the topic. Thanks, superfly.

Post Thanks / Like

I am no expert to say the least but I like to use either Suffix Siege in 10lb and use 10lb Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon for my rigs--or straight 10lb vanish all the way around. I also use 6 or 8lb on my 11ft jig pole that I spider rig with sometimes as well--the line on this one is suffix siege as well--and again the rig is 10lb Vanish. I like the Vanish because it does disappear in the water. No sense in using it on your whole spool-because it is expensive. With one spool (250yrds) I can get 187 rigs tied--about .03 per rig worth of line--so one spool will last a long time. I don't like the braid myself due to I'd rather break my line as my pole--but you should use a leader on it as well. So far this year I have not broken off yet spider rigging using the Suffix and Vanish. Just my .02 cents. Good Luck to ya.

Post Thanks / Like

just been in this for a little over a year but started with vicious 6# spider riggin in open type waters and have not broke a line yet. have lost fish by every other method known to man but not because of line breaking, as of yet......
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Stren Hi-Vis Gold For years but lately "Conway" has got us using a better line and we're really happy with it. It's the 10 lb. P-Line CX Premium Co-Polymer with the Flourocarbon coating. I really like the Hi-Vis Green and we conducted a break test and the main line broke consistantly at 13 lbs.pull!! The flourescent blue is also highly visable above the water also. The diameter is smaller creating less drag in the water and this line will easily straighten out an Eagle Claw #2 214 EL aberdeen hook! It will also pull out most jig hooks about 90 % of the time. If you are still looking for a good line I suggest you get a spool of P-Line and give it a try. We're fixing to buy a 3000 yd. spool because we're so pleased with it.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

i use power pro braid hi-vis yellow 15lb with 6lb diameter!! i make my rigs with 2 hooks with weight on the end of the rig out of 12lb p-line mist green color!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cajun Red braid, 12/4 not very visible in certain light. But I had same problem with high vis. Use clear Trilean xt for my rigs. Have bent poles completely under boat and not broken. Just use reel with good drag. Tried 6-8-10 mono and lost to many fish. Braid is not expensive if all you are doing with that rig is spiderriging. Fill reel with cheap line add 30 ft of braid and good to go.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Wally Marshall hi-vis or Stren hi-vis gold in 6# test for spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

I been using 30# power pro Hi-Vis. Some rigs I tie direct,some on a mono leader. Cant tell any difference.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

8 lb. Stren original -clear blue . Old line/old fisherman .