Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Working with contrasting colors and glitter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Working with contrasting colors and glitter

Been working on getting a colored clearcoat/glitter mix and worked with purple the other night. Some of them worked and some didn't. Shook the container before each brush tap.

The tube jig on top is dipped straight into the powder - the second and third are brush taps.

The second picture is the same coating on Chartreuse, orange and olive

Trying to get the color on the tube jig on all the other colors but have the glitter showing, could be I need to get a different brush cause I have lots of glitter and clear in the mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fatman,
    I mix all my glitters in clear and put it on as a second coat. Try it and you will see that it makes it pop out a lot better. Hope you are using the mesh I sent you. I still like the premade cups a lot better though! Going back to 3 inch cups. A lot better control on the volcanoes!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

ifish - Sure am using the mesh!!! It actually works really well with the 2" beds, the only thing you really have to do so it works well is stretch it tight when putting it on the bottom of the cups and get the weight on it quick, I have enough cups so that I could let them cure for about 3 days. I've only had one come loose and that was after a long session of basic color painting. The only volcano's I've had is when I forget to shut the valve off when adding more powder or when first setting up and plugging into the 3 way valve shoots air really quick LOL. Like to have it off and turn it slow and get the powder moving before turning it up.

Yeah I think I'm going back to the clear coat with glitter for a second color, although I've had fun trying mix's. Wish to heck I'd bought the full pound of clear instead of a 1/2 pound.

Still gotta perfect the brush tap too!!!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting the pics of the different processes you used.
    I stopped by the hardware store and picked up some 1 1/2 pipe fittings. Been wanting to try a smaller bed and will post results.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

nice work Doug. have you thought about painting the base coat, tapping on your secondary color, then dipping in the clear/glitter mix?
    Slab Stik'r Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm really looking at going back to that, but I still have some test jars that I've been playing with too so!!!!! LOL I'll keep trying those.