Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shore Fishing for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shore Fishing for Crappie

I have access to this pond that's loaded with 10-14 inch crappie but they only allow shore fishing. Any idea's on catching them at this place? The middle of the lake is about 7-8 foot deep. It's been hot here in Pa. and was wondering if the crappie have moved out to the deeper water already. I caught lots of bass by shore this past year.

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs should work, especially under a float. Cast it out and reel back slowly. Experiment with different depths.

Post Thanks / Like

x2 with DBD - but you don't say how big this pond is?? You might need a longer rod to get out to that 7-8 feet of water. If it's real far and they only want minnows you may have a problem.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Pond size and depth could help?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Use a slip float technique and a double rig setup. Jig and soft plastic on top and a hook and minnow below. Crappies feed up so start at about 4 feet and keep adjusting until you get activity. This stickie might give you some other ideas that many people use. Have fun. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

If its that hot and the pond isn't very big you probably want to fish wherever there is shade. try early morning or even some night fishing. If it doesnt have any structure, sneek you in a little stake bed and they will likely come to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I estimate the pond is 100 yards by 175 yards. Average depth is about 6'. Do the crappie tend to come close to shore after dark?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they will come shallow to feed on bugs that fly and land in the shallows around the edges. Use skeeter repellent after dark for sure.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with the slip float & jig suggestion. That way you can change up your depth and speed control quite easily. I've been doing fairly well from shore just using a 1/16 oz. jig, making a long cast and counting it down, with a slow retrieve. Seems there here abouts they are suspended just under the gills. Good Luck!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by purplelab View Post
    I have access to this pond that's loaded with 10-14 inch crappie but they only allow shore fishing. Any idea's on catching them at this place? The middle of the lake is about 7-8 foot deep. It's been hot here in Pa. and was wondering if the crappie have moved out to the deeper water already. I caught lots of bass by shore this past year.
    Personally, I'd be using a 8-9ft rod ... 4lb test line on a wide spool or long cast reel ... 1/16oz marabou Roadrunner ... and maybe even a splitshot up the line about 18" (for greater distance). I'd be casting out as far as I could, then reeling back with a steady, moderate speed retrieve (with rod held at 10 o:clock position if using splitshot).

If the pond is that big, but that shallow, are there any weeds or any kind of cover ? 8ft isn't deep enough to shade the fish, by depth alone, unless the water is very fertile (green/dingy) ... so I'd be concentrating my efforts in the early morning & late afternoon hours, on the shaded banks (shade created either from surrounding obstacles, or the East bank at sunrise & west bank towards sunset).

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast