Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Strange Dead Bird ..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strange Dead Bird ..

I posted about this a little while ago and am kinda beating a dead horse bringing this up again , but I'd love to hear a biologist's explanation of how this happened .. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/misso...dead-bird.html

Post Thanks / Like

That is one unlucky comorant....i cannot give a valid explanation of how this happened, but the responses I saw from the last thread all look possible to me. I could imagine that the bird could have been so focused on a fish, that it dove straight into the Y of that tree, but that would just be a guess. Comorants are fish eaters. They perch on trees, dive for fish, or get into groups, and swim around and feed on schools of fish. They are a huge problem in some places, specifically on some famous fisheries in Minnesota, like leech lake, where their numbers grew so high that they were blamed for a significant decline in the their walleye and yellow perch populations. So much so, that even though they are a protected species, they started a comorat eradication program up there and saw the walleye fishery return to good levels. Here is an article, just FYI..... Most-hated bird in the world: Sanctioned killing of cormorants continues unabated in Minnesota | MinnPost.