Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could it be possible.......

Post Thanks / Like

Question could it be possible.......

could it be possible to use tadpoles to catch crappie and sunfish?

i know this isnt supposed to be here but bear with me on this. theres more people here than the live bait forum.

ive been reading that tadpoles can be used to catch a variety of fish from bass to crappie and i want to know if anyone tried this and what success they had on tadpoles.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I read somewhere that certain types would work and others would not. Something like frog tadpoles yes and toad tadpoles no.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i heard that for bass its best to use tadpoles or frog of 2 specific breeds. i believe one was the leopard frog and i cant remember what the other one was. im not sure if the tadpoles by the creek are frogs or not but the ones i did catch that were partially formed looked like that of a frog than of a toad. they are also rather small. no bigger than my pinky nail. i figure id ask and see what peopel thoguh of using tadpoles as a scent thing or an additional enticement to a crank bait or a mimick minnow/shad rubber bait. or even a small jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about tadpoles but caught crappie once last year that
    were full of little baby green frogs. First time to ever see it.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am old school and tend to use proven baits for crappies. I have not personally heard about too many people using tadpoles for sunfish or crappie.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

its a good thought though isnt it? i mean, there are numerous types of live baits available to us and why not try them all? ive found some tadpole mimicking lures as well(both soft bait and hard baits) that ive read to be effective. so far ive got a list ofsome lives that i know would work. worms, minnows and cant remember what else. but i have anjother question. would crawdad mimicking lures work on crappie as well? i have a small(maybe and inch and a half long. thats just eyeballing it) that im gonna try for crappie. i know it works for bass but what about crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught lots of crappie on crank baits, including the small rebel crayfish jobbies..usually when bumping stumps looking for largemouths..

Post Thanks / Like

i have a number of cranks that i could use. i have one that looks like a rooster tail just no tail. i have a weird looking curved thing. kinda like the lazy ike from (i cant say the name but it starts with a K.) i have some shad rubber baits. i think my favorite would have to be a minnow sonic bait(i think thats what its called. need to look that up) that has a double hook and a tiny spin spoon on it.

Post Thanks / Like

it looks similar to this only its all one rig and has a double hook instead of a treble and its all one line and not all funky looking. the minnow is black on top and silver on the bottom and the spoon is really small. maybe a centimeter long.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about artificial tadpoles but I know the bream,catfish and bass in my pond wear them out when they are up next to the bank.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast