Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New HB798 Showed up today (not so new)

Post Thanks / Like

Default New HB798 Showed up today (not so new)

So I finally pull the trigger on an SI. Found the older version of the 798 on clearance for $749 on Academy Sports website. It arrived today and looks like they sent me either one that has been returned or maybe the floor demo model. All the pieces seem to be there and the hardware is still in plastic however it has clearly been opened and pawed by someone else. I wouldn't have minded if I knew in advance that it may have been an open box however I could have bought local at Gander Mountain for $50 ($799) more and confirmed it was unopened.

Called Academy and to their credit the CSR admired that it shouldn't have been shipped that way. She offered a $100 refund on this unit or $100 discount on any replacement.

I'm thinking $650 for a nearly new 798 isn't too bad. I'm going to test it thoroughly tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Hook up the power and see if there are any hours on it. You have to turn on the system status view to see this.

Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing about this is that whether it is new or floor demo model: it is a “new in box unit” from Humminbird’s perspective. So if something does not work you can get it fixed under warranty.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Greg, I,m in the process of buying a wareagle 861 predator. I haven't decided on a fish finder yet. Have been looking at various HB units, 998Si combo for drivers side, transducer shoot thru the hull and up front not sure about which unit. Looked at the 788SI combo. Any recommendations. I,m also looking at your competitor(lowrance. I,ve posted a thread on the general forum for some comments. Any help will be appreciated.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Not Greg but I'll give a little advice ....and that is to match the sonar technology that would best suit your fishing needs at the TM...

If you're 2 poling....2d/DI combo is the berrires..
    If you're looking for new structure...SI is the best
    If you're bouncing from brushpile to brushpile ...GPS chartplotting is a must...

Decide which technology will help your TM time the best...
    Then decide how much you can spend to get extra bells and whistles on top of the 3 main sonar texhnology choices..(2d/SI/DI)...

(Oh, and just for clarification.. The 788 does not come in an SI model...the 798 does)...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Most find that with the side imaging units: a bigger screen is better.

If that Predator is an aluminum hulled boat, then you would need to look at using an AlumaDucer transducer from RadarSonics as ours will not shoot a sonar signal through the hull reliably. AlumaDucer
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can