Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Seeking Lake Sonoma (Cali) Blugill/Redear Info

Polebrother Guest

Default Seeking Lake Sonoma (Cali) Blugill/Redear Info

Living in NorCal I've heard that Lake Sonoma can produce very large sunfish. I've never fished there but thinking about making the 2-hour trek this summer. Before doing that though, sure would like some current information on where and how to get the big ones at Sonoma. Thanks in advance for your inputs and advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Polebrother
    Howdy and Welcome to the Board. You might want to try and post this request on the California State Board. There are several members that live up in that part of the state. Where do you live? Any good fishing? I'm down in San Luis Obispo, on the central coast.

This is a good place to be if your lookin for crappie, gill and redear info.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

PB,
    We have done well at L. Sonoma and have pestered some BG's that measure 11"-12". We usually fish shallow water on the Warm Springs arm with flies. Mostly fish of size were Redears. People that know the fish use worms and load-up on the Redears.
    Would I drive two hours? It is a nice lake. Lots of 5mph zones. Plenty fish. Ya sorta need floatation. I would probably do the delta first.....but maybe.
    ....lee s.

Polebrother Guest

Thanks for your speedy responses.

For wrwest: Thanks for the tip on CA state board...will check it out straightaway. I live in Santa Clara. Have been slaying crappie at Anderson Reservoir in Morgan Hill for last month or so. However, the bluegills there are on the small side. Where do you go for crappie down your way?

For lee s: Appreciate the Sonoma information. I don't mind traveling that far for good bluegills/redears. As for Sonoma I can get in there with my little 16-ft Tracker. Having spent a great deal of time in our southern states, I also love fly-fishing for panfish so I'm pleased to hear flies work fine at Sonoma. I've fished the Delta and Clear Lake but don't care much for the taste of fish at those venues. I still fish both places but purely on a catch and release basis.

Again, thanks to you both for your informative inputs. Glad I found this great board and website.