Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pole holder...left or right thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pole holder...left or right thread

Have it narrowed down to driftmaster and wanted to get some thoughts on the lefty righty thing...is it really that significant as to whether you need a specific "thread" on either the left (port) or right (starboard) sides of your boat? Doesn't the "nut" keep the stem tight...rendering the possibility of the fish turning the pole holder? First time with these driftmasters and plan on using them for both crappie and channel cats.

thanks
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Only difference I can see would be if you are trolling for large fish off the sides of the boat. Left handed on port and right handed on starboard. That way you could run them all the way down set lock nut and they couldn't turn any more if a large fish hit. Can't see where it would make any difference for any other kind of fishing. Just my 2 cts.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I put a self locking nut on the top and bottom of mine when I used driftmasters and everything was right handed threads. After locking both nuts down NOTHING was gonna move my holders.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a right hand threaded driftmaster on the left side of my boat that I use occassionally. It does come loose, or spin if the lure gets hung up while longlining if I don't have the drag set loose enough. It's not a big issue just annoying. If you plan on using the driftmasters on the sides of the boat and not the front or back, I would get the left hand threaded bases and holders. I don't think they cost extra but not sure. It would eliminate a potential problem, and they would be easier to adjust the angle than using a lock nut on the right handed threads like gabowman suggested. I ended up with a driftmaster T bar that I mounted on the front of the boat, and adjusted it to run parallel with the boat front to back as I long line with 2 rods only, with one rod on each side of the boat. I admit it, I'm lazy, but more than 2 rods for me is too much like work when you get hung up like I do. Driftmasters are solid holders, no question about it.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I longline with right hand thread driftmasters on both sides up front. Sometimes the ones on the left side gets hung up and breaks the wing nut loose. I would get left hand thread for the left side and right hand thread for the right side and the back.
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I sell and use Driftmasters with Flange Nuts that can be tightened with a 9/16 wrench. They do not move!

Monk

Monk's Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

All of mine are righthanded threads. I have Wingnuts for stops. When they need tightening, I use my handy needlenose on the wingnut.
    Thinking about it....mine loosen up more on the ride to the lake than while fishing.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Get the left hand threaded ones if You can. They will break around on You if it is windy and You have a bunch of poles in them. Those long poles act like sails when You have 3 or 4 in the holders off of one mast.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I troll 90% of the time and use rods up to 18' long. I started with all right hand thread but now have changed to left hand threads on the left side. Those long rods when hung up have a lot of torque on the rod holders causing them to loosen up.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good information being shared here...thats one thing that makes crappie.com stand out. People sharing information without an agenda.

Looks like I will have both left and right threaded mounts and holders....glad I waited and picked up some excellent information before I make a purchase...

thanks people!!
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world