View Full Version : What's the longest article you will read in a magazine

crappieandbassman123
08-06-2012, 06:16 AM
1. 800
2. 1000
3. 1500
4. 2000
5. 2500

What do your favorite articles in them? What kind of tips do you like to see?

shipahoy41
08-06-2012, 06:27 AM
It depends on what the article is about and if it has anything to do with the way I personally fish. Maximum for me is about 6 pages though.

Gator_1
08-06-2012, 06:37 AM
I guess those numbers are words...
And if its something I'm interested In I can read and read... No such thing as too much.:)

Gator_1
08-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Crappieandbassman123, I sent you a pm the other day...

crappieandbassman123
08-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Crappieandbassman123, I sent you a pm the other day...

Replied

river slabs are better
08-06-2012, 08:35 AM
if its interesting 5 pages. diagrams and pictures help

deathb4disco
08-06-2012, 08:42 AM
If the article actually contains useful information (and is not just a product plug), I don't care how long it is. I was going through some old magazines a week or so ago, and I found a Fishing Facts from 1976(!) Charlie Brewer had an article that was 13-14 pages long (and there weren't many pictures, either.) There was more information in that one article than you'd find in a year's subscription to any almost any mag on the market.

I'm really not interested in the latest "hot" bait that you can't do without (because next month, there will be a new hot bait that you can't do without.) Fish are caught with that thing between your ears, not the "latest and greatest" rod/reel/bait.

gabowman
08-06-2012, 08:48 AM
A page or two.

keeferfish
08-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I couldn’t even read all these posts so I just skimmed thru and scrolled to the bottom. Hard to scroll a magazine!:biggrin

"G"
08-06-2012, 09:01 AM
If the article actually contains useful information (and is not just a product plug), I don't care how long it is. I was going through some old magazines a week or so ago, and I found a Fishing Facts from 1976(!) Charlie Brewer had an article that was 13-14 pages long (and there weren't many pictures, either.) There was more information in that one article than you'd find in a year's subscription to any almost any mag on the market.

I'm really not interested in the latest "hot" bait that you can't do without (because next month, there will be a new hot bait that you can't do without.) Fish are caught with that thing between your ears, not the "latest and greatest" rod/reel/bait.

I agree

NIMROD
08-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Depends if it is good reading and something I'm interested in. Can't be too long if it's informative.

birddog one
08-06-2012, 02:36 PM
2,000 is about as long as I like to read or write.

Luvfatslabs
08-06-2012, 03:48 PM
With useful info in it 6-7 pages

huntinslabs
08-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I will read a book if it is interesting or informative. Magazine articles better have some catch me info in the first paragraph or I turn the page and carry on. Like said above, I would rather read about techniques than a sales pitch for a new super gizmo swim and jump in their mouth bait like the Banjo minnow.

kingkrappie
08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
The only people who know how many words are in an article are writers and editors. That being said, I'd like to see 9,000 words on the impact the Banjo Minnow has had on the fishing industry:)

Cane Pole
08-06-2012, 06:28 PM
I prefer picture books like Crappie Angler. Tim Huffman is my overall favorite writer. Word count is a low priority on my list.

Why all the inquiries?

xring
08-06-2012, 06:45 PM
If there were still outdoor writers like Jack O'Conner, and humor writers like Pat McMannus, I could spend hours enjoying their tales. I read every word O'Conner wrote, at least once. With him I hunted Africa, I sat by the campfire and listened to the lions roar, could almost smell the mopane smoke of the campfire.

Pat McMannus, My favorite author, he could put you there..his characters, like the ole woodsman, Rancid Crabtree, his first love, Melba Peachbottom, his ability to make you associate his characters with childhood friends was uncanny.

I guess what I am saying is it depends on the content, if the writer is good, really good, the mental images are much better than glossy pictures on poloroid paper.

Cane Pole
08-06-2012, 07:58 PM
As a former teacher I can state this :

1. What you read or hear you forget.
2. What you see you remember.
3. What you do you understand.

See Spot run!

deathb4disco
08-06-2012, 08:28 PM
If there were still outdoor writers like Jack O'Conner, and humor writers like Pat McMannus ...

Yeah, I miss the guys I grew up reading: Ted Trueblood, Ed Zern, Jim Bashline, Byron Dalrymple, etc.

kingkrappie
08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
the majority of my "library" consists of Pat McMannus books, best humorist ever. Tim Huffman is the best crappie writer working, without a doubt. what keeps people reading an article? good writing.

inkminers
08-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Fish are caught with that thing between your ears, not the "latest and greatest" rod/reel/bait.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree with Deathb4Disco on that one. An article that provides some new info on fish behavior or habitat, strategies that make you use your noggin, or basically anything that challenges you to think about how you approach the target would be more likely to keep me reading that just data on tackle or simple how-to's would. The length of it wouldn't bother me one way or another if it stayed interesting. Of course, If it's stuff I haven't seen or heard of before, almost anything would get a look - but whether it'll keep me reading is then more about how well it's written.

Cane Pole
08-09-2012, 05:05 PM
I agree

Don't know much about about the thing between the ears as bait, but I have caught more crappie on a KY double rig with minners than anything new or old. I still love it.

inkminers
08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Don't know much about about the thing between the ears as bait, but I have caught more crappie on a KY double rig with minners than anything new or old. I still love it.

You can't beat that gray matter as bait......but ya gotta be real careful you don't use up too much of it over the years...nonono or this is where you end up....:crazy:

Special K
08-10-2012, 10:12 AM
I certainly agree with the majority and will keep reading anything that holds my attention and offers me useful information about how I might better prosper at plying the waters for my favorite fresh water fish. I have zero interest in the articles that push certain baits and/or new technologies that attempt to be making their own claim to fame by offering cleverly marketed shortcuts or magic bullets. I don't believe there are any shortcuts or magic bullets in crappie fishing, nor do I believe there is any substitute for understanding all that you can about your quarry, paying your dues and digging, researching, concentrating and experiencing all that you can for yourself and with the help of your friends in order to be better at the thing.

Brother, I respect your desire to write articles and assist other people with the how to's of crappie and bass fishing and I wish you the very best. If I had one suggestion to make to you it might be this one: Don't ask people what they want to see articles about or hear more about... instead you might do better if you just build it and they will follow your articles and contribute to them if they like what you are doing.

There once was a young man who wanted to be a become great in the area of martial arts... so much so that he searched for and finally found an elderly master of the martial arts and he approached the master begging him, "Please take me under your wing and teach me all that you know because I too want to be a great master." The master refused repeatedly until the young man's persistence over many weeks finally touched the old craftsman... and he turned to the young man and said, OK... I'll agree to do what you have asked. The first task of your training is to paint this fence.

crappiefarmer
08-10-2012, 05:50 PM
If it is informative and something that is similar to how I fish or something new that I could easily switch over and try, I'll read a whole dang book.CF

crappiedoc
08-12-2012, 07:56 AM
I like lots of pictures with good captioning Rofl There is some truth in that statement though. One thing I might add, some might disagree, I can't remember if it's F&S or Outdoor Life, but Phillip B....... may be a good writer per say, but half of what he writes would be better used for fertilizer. Keep it true and they will come to you. Personally, from what I've been seeing here, I think you're on to something. There's more "shareable" knowledge here than the forests of paper to print it on. Thumbs Up