Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie calling with your rod tip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie calling with your rod tip

A freind showed me this trick recently where he took is rod tip and started shaking it in the surface of the water. He say's that is does work at times to call up crappie out of deeper water. He say's it imitates baitfish on the surface. Does anyone here do this and does it really work or is it some crazy myth?

Post Thanks / Like

Works here in the South, Chris....not just for crappie but bass as well. We call it "doodlesocking or hijacking," works best early or late, night time is good too, and also when it's overcast or in a light rain. Give it a try, you might be surprised. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I will Bill Thank you. One question though How often and for how long do you do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Ct
    I will Bill Thank you. One question though How often and for how long do you do it?
    Most often used in the warm months when they will come up to the surface to take a bait. If the surface bite stops, do the same but the bait will have to be about 2 ft. under the rod tip. I'll use that method untill I get no action. For a surface bait, I use a treble hook with a spinner bait skirt trimmed to the size you want and slipped over the treble and tied to your line. Allow about 5 to 6 inches under the rod tip. For the deeper lure, I use a jig at 18 to 25 inches under the rod tip, tailored to the size of fish I'm fishing for.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the idea here the noise attracts them?? I am guessing that you do this for a bit then fish the same area hoping that the fish in search of the noise/baitfish find your jig/minnow instead? Any particular pattern / less disturbance or more??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KrappieKid
    Is the idea here the noise attracts them?? I am guessing that you do this for a bit then fish the same area hoping that the fish in search of the noise/baitfish find your jig/minnow instead? Any particular pattern / less disturbance or more??
    The noise is the attraction, some say it's as Chris said, that it sounds like baitfish on the surface. When they come up to investigate they will see the lure and the disturbance on the surface and will nail it. You won't have to stay in one place long, if they are within "hearing" range. I would advise using artificial lures, live bait will come off the hook quickly with all the rapid tapping with your rod tip. This method is primarily for fishing visible cover. I'm working on making a post on this subject, and I will post it on the LA board and also on the Main Forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never done this ... sounds like you should make a new thread and talk about it.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to do it all of the time. It's called doodlesocking.
    We use cane poles and would half hitch thin nylon twine all of the way up the cane pole to the tip. Then you would tie the line around the tip. About 12 to 16 inches from the tip would be the end of the line. We would put a treble hook on it with a rubber skirt on it. We would thrash the bluff banks of the river or in the brush with it. The line half hitched around the rod would keep from loosing the fish if the rod tip broke. We would catch some big fish on it.
    They used to claim it was illegal at one point but I never saw anything in print on it.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

How hard are you hitting the water? Just enough to make splashing noises?

Post Thanks / Like

Short taps and swish it around a bit. When you find the right key you will know.
    Let Em' Land!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast