Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My 1st in the yak

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 1st in the yak

Went to my home lake and put in adjacent to the main ramp, and intended to just paddle around some as I had not had the yak out in a couple weeks due to the heat and life in general. My yak does not have any rod holders or FF installed yet, haven't made up my mind on the how and where yet, but coming together in my head. Jigged a little bit around some channel markers, as I'm familiar enough with the area that a FF is not needed, and knew how the channel/creek bed flowed. Had a couple hits but no hookups at either marker, so paddled on around an island where it opens up into a very large but shallow cove with a creek bed that wonders thru the cove. I knew where the creek bed started and ended, and a general idea of where the creek bed meandered thru the cove. Some new property owners were in the process of putting the finishing touches on a couple nice boat docks that should be good spots in a couple years after the wood loses all of the chemical treatments and fish start hanging out. Had a nibble at one dock that kind of surprised me but no hook up either. I took a short break for some water and a snack while hiding in the shade from one of the new docks, and then paddled over to the where I could pick up the creek bed that meandered thru the cove. The wind had picked up to a gentle breeze that would allow me to drift/float over the creek bed in a couple different spots so I thru out a jig and wedged the rod/reel into the dashboard cupholder on my Pungo 120. All I had to do was let the wind push me along and make minor adjustments along the way. Not long after I started drifting, I had a hit, but no hook up again, (familiar phrase today) and said, oh well. Drifted for a minute or so again, and then the rod started its dance and knew I had a hook up (FINALLY), and reeled that sucker in. Wasn't a keeper but it was a decent crappie, and my 1st in the yak. I think I know how I'm gonna rig my yak up as well, as now I know a rod holder and FF won't be in the way of my paddle stroke with what I got in mind.

Name:  1st one in the yak.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  38.3 KB

GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you may have the beginnings of a fever........proceed with caution. lol
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get no better than that!
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I've had the yak since late May, and been out paddling several times in it for the excercise, fun and just to get out of the house or after work a few times. It easy to load it up in the truck and run to the lake for a while. Still trying to figure the fishing part from a yak, been reading alot about fishing from a yak. Have fished from it a few times, but just hadn't caught anything until yesterday.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

good job sliming the yak,

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a fun way to fish, been thinking about doing the same

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing better than finally getting a little fish slime in the kayak. I think my kayak now has a permanent fish odor. I just tell my wife it is
    scent control!
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Way To Go !
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs