Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Windy Morning on Lake Nimrod, AR.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Windy Morning on Lake Nimrod, AR.

Crappiekeeper and myself took a run up in the river section this morning to get out of the wind. Picked up a few here and there but usually too small. Crappiekeeper did manage to catch this nice slab in 4 feet of water while slow trolling with a 1/4 oz. Bighead Jig and a Blk/Chart. Glitter Midsouth tube. This is always an option when jigging with these heavy heads, you can throw a minnow on them and go right into slow trolling.

We then tried the main lake but by then the wind made it to hard to fish where we wanted so we started ducking into the coves on the west end of the big bay. I picked this nice slab up while jigging the Bighead Jig in about 7 FOW in some old brush that came across the screen.

www.bigheadjigs.com
    We wasted most of the morning checking out new water but caught a few with a couple nice slabs and a big cat for our efforts. We finally gave up to the heat and wind and came on in. We talked to Swamper as he was loading up. He was over here playing with his new HB 998! Also talked with Jason Westerberg and his Dad as they were loading. Bob and I enjoyed our conversation with them about their equipment and Jason gave us a few Lake Fork Lures to try.
    We may not fish tomorrow and clean up our boats and fix equipment. May mold and paint some 1/8 oz. jig heads too.
    Last edited by slabbandit; 08-04-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: typing error
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish for a windy day!
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

Post Thanks / Like

The Bighead Jigs make all the difference on those windy days. I have been able to successfully jig fish 12 feet deep on a day that had mild white caps. Yes, it's 1/4 oz. but it only has a #4 jig hook. A big misconception about jig fishing is that it's too heavy, especially for water less than 10 feet deep. Think about it. A shad or minnow is not down there jumping up and down wildly he is gently moving around in a fluid movement so why not use a heavier head. There are many advantages and I can't think of any disadvantages. For one, the heavier 1/4 oz jig head offers better feel for feeling brush or structure and I'm a firm believer that the "THUMP" you feel when a big slab inhales the jig is much more pronounced as the jig hits the back of his mouth. Another advantage is a much larger profile so the color of the head is more visible in deep or stained water. The #4 hook almost always hooks them in the roof of the mouth and we lose less crappie on this jig head than any other head style or hook size that we use!
    One thing that we really like these jig heads for is when we are tired of jigging structure we can move out and slow troll by just tipping the jig with a minnow. In real windy conditions I might just add a 1/4 oz. pinch on sinker about a foot up the line.
    CATCH A BIG-UN