Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Prop Pitch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop Pitch

I trolled cranks at MTL a couple of weeks ago with some success, 12 keeps between 13 and 10" and lots of shorts. I had an issue with trolling speed. At idle,my 150 merc turns 600-700 rpm and I have a 26 pitch chopper prop. I was at 2.7 to 2.8 mph and couldn't go slower, so I shut off the big motor and used my trolling motor. That worked as we caught fish around 1.7 to 2 mph, but was a real pain using the foot troller up front with rods off the sides towards the back of the boat. I think cheap aluminum prop is in order for the outboard, but the big question is, what pitch? I think the motor would idle smoother around 800 to 1000 but can't find info on low end stuff. Any help would be appreciated as I may go to Grenada to troll those bandits I bought.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what pitch but you may check out the composite props for a cheap alternative. Should be able to get into one for around $75. Lots of guys use them for a back up in case they need to get back to the ramp after tearing up a good one. Also some use them for pulling tubes and skiers. They also make trolling plates that go down behind the prop to control the amount of water that passes it to control speed. Seen several guys at spring camp that had them. Most guys down south are going to the Minn Kota I pilot trolling motors with remote control for pulling cranks. Then you an operate from anywhere in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I reccomend ya make a couple of redneck drift socks(buckets) drag 2 of these, one on each rear corner cleat, and it will slow ya down 1mph or so. I have 2 and I use em anytime I am drifting lakes to slow me down, and in a pinch I have used em for trolling cranks. I prefer using the trolling motor, but I have a wireless tm for this. my buddy uses his cable steer troller for this, he just adjusted the tension screw on the foot petal to where it doesnt move on its own. this way if he needs to go to the back of the boat for something, he points the troller where he wants it to go and can take his foot off the petal. when your in the back of the boat, if ya need to change direction some, you can just steer with the big motor and it will change your direction some.
    for my drift buckets, first I drilled too many 1 inch holes in this one. my other has 5 and it seems to work better. the fewer holes the more it takes to pull. and without any holes, the bucket is an anchor that you cant haul in. (the holes drain the water as you pull it in) for the ropes, I just used the rope and swivel off an old ruined cast net. and I like about 8ft of FLOATING rope, keeps it away from the prop when not tensioned.

Name:  IMAG0154.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  29.8 KB
    Name:  IMAG0156.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  21.7 KB
    Name:  IMAG0155.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  29.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 150 as well. Same speed for idleing. It takes 4-5 gallon buckets to get me to the correct speed. My trolling motor last 4 hrs so thats what I use most.

Post Thanks / Like

All good ideas, thanks. My tm is a motor guide tour digital thats 3 years old, I Pilot not in the budget for a while. Gonna look into composite props maybe with a 14 or 15 pitch, that oughta slow me down!

Post Thanks / Like

Like J15 says, trolling plates are very versatile. The one that I have is seriously spring loaded, so that when trolling cranks I can actually go slower than I need. When I hit my 150 hp with full throttle the water pressure pushes the normally vertical plate to a horozontal position and away I go without losing hardly any speed at all. They run about $125 and are worth it if you troll cranks. Just be careful when your motor is in reverse cause if you bump the plate into anything it can push it into the prop and the plate will be destroyed. I know this from personal experience.
    With too small of a pitch, like a 14 or 15, you could blow your engine by not having enough prop resistance and over revv coming out of the hole at full throttle..........................Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Never thought of overrevving, good thought. I'll check out the trolling plates. I have a pm from someone looking to sell one to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a drift sock. You can get 'em on sale for $30-$40...depending on how big you want.

Post Thanks / Like

i use drift socks as well. I hook them to the front cleats and get the same drag without them being back where the poles are.
    If you go with that method. Get the biggest socks you can afford. You can always add more throttle, cut you can't get slow enough if they too small.
    Saw a guy doing that on Stockton once and wish I had thought to hook them up to the front cleats.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

All great advice!
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!