Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder paint help

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Powder paint help

Need some help from you guys. I don't pour many jigs, just for myself. Started reading about fluid beds and figured I'd build one just to see how it worked. Well I built 3 and they work fine with Chartruse, Green chr and Pink. My problem is with Black which I had read could be a problem and some Red. My Red has always seemed a little thick and not as light as the other colors. When I dip either one I get it to thick and in the fluid bed they just lay there and it blows out the side around cup edge red worse than black. I can't get either to lift at all. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Get you some clear powder and mix with your colors and you should get good results. I use a 50/50 mix.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Len iwill try that. Is that normal for Red to be like that. It even try's to lump up.

Post Thanks / Like

Cray

My problem color is white. Some colors are heavier than others, try different filter material. I was lucky enough to have several members send me some different size's of mesh, and for the heavy powders I use a looser style mesh which lets more air to flow through. Try different materials for filters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Cray

My problem color is white. Some colors are heavier than others, try different filter material. I was lucky enough to have several members send me some different size's of mesh, and for the heavy powders I use a looser style mesh which lets more air to flow through. Try different materials for filters.
    I will try that first. Thanks

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Get you some clear powder and mix with your colors and you should get good results. I use a 50/50 mix.
    X2. The clear does help with the heavy paint mixes. The harbor freight paint is thick and with a 50/50 mix of clear you have no problems with the paint.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    X2. The clear does help with the heavy paint mixes. The harbor freight paint is thick and with a 50/50 mix of clear you have no problems with the paint.
    Thanks for the reply StumpHunter. The paint I'm using is Protec and the Red seems like there is something wrong with it to me. It wants to clump and will look like it has moisture in it. Don't know if it all does that or I just got a bad batch. It has been like that since I first bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cray how did you build it?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to the fluid bed I built and posted on http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...bed-build.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eatmorecrappie View Post
    Cray how did you build it?
    I followed Fatman"s post except i had a peice of 4in trim board laying in the shop and i cut it long enough to mount 3 side by side about 4in apart. and instead of the brass fittings he used i found a pack of valves and T's in PetSmart that are white plastic.The valves have a end that is long enough to go into bottom of cup. Used the T's and short peices of hose to jumper it all together and hooked to dual outlet pump. I also could not find the addhesive he used but i found a Loctite product in Lowes that works similar to liquid nail. it is white and my board was white so got it. It works pretty good since i havent torn it off yet. This all sounds complicated and looks complicated but is really simple once you start. My hardest thing was actually finding the 2 fittings Fatman used on the shelfs at lowes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast